Is a 2x4 okay for a roost for RIR,s

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by goodheart101, Nov 23, 2010.

1. goodheart101

goodheart101 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    I have RIR and I want to put them in a new coop area for the winter. They are use to 2x2,s but in the new coop my guy didn't have any 2x2,s so he used 2x4's with the 4 side flat so it is wider than they are use to. They do not seem to want to use it, will they get use to it or should I try to get some 2x2's and change it out. This will be their first night in the new coop.

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I've read of others on here using 2 x 4 roosts, but the round off the top edges to make it rounder, if that makes sense.

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Try to put them up there to get used to it. In the winter it is better for them to keep their feet warm if it isn't roinded so that they don't get frost bitten in the feet. Hope this helps a little.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have 2X4's wide side up and my 9 week old babies love them! I'm sure they'll be on them in no time.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Lots of people use 2x4's flat side up. It's supposed to be better for winter anyway. It's just new to them, if it's their first night dont' worry about it. If they still don't want to use them in a few weeks, maybe then think about changing them, but try to let them adjust to the change first.

6. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    Quote:this is what i do i have rir cochins of all sizes silkies and bantys so it works for anybird

7. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Quote:When people say "round the edges" how much do they mean? like sand it down a little or router the edge? or what?

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:When people say "round the edges" how much do they mean? like sand it down a little or router the edge? or what?

Personally I don't think it's a huge deal unless you have really pretty sharp-edged 2x4s.

Sure, whatever you have handy that works is fine. Sand, router, drawknife, old plane you don't mind abusing, whatever.

Actually when I have cutoff bits of 2x4 that naturally have some wane on them (where some of the wood is missing because the template for cutting the 2x4 encountered the outside of the log it was cut from? Often have a bit of inner bark still attached?) I preferentially use those for roosts because the waney parts are naturally kinda rounded/blunted on the corners [​IMG] Also IME some lots/sources of 2x4s have naturally more rounded-off corner edges than others do, dunno why.

I also use 5-6" diameter dead tree branches, debarked, for some roosts. The chickens do not seem to have an obvious preference between the two.

Pat

9. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    I use 2x4s wide side up - and at first had to go out every night and put them on the roost - they didn't seem to know what they were supposed to do. Then I got 2 older hens - who roosted on them immediately - and the others are now okay with the roosts.

Try putting them on the roosts after they have gone down for the night - they may wake up and figure it out

I didn't round the corners and they do fine.

10. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey

I came in on the edge about a 1/4" and ran them down the table saw. I had 3" wide x 1 1/4 thick Oak handy. They seem to like a little better grip but they really haven't said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by