Is a 2x4 okay for a roost for RIR,s

goodheart101

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
I have RIR and I want to put them in a new coop area for the winter. They are use to 2x2,s but in the new coop my guy didn't have any 2x2,s so he used 2x4's with the 4 side flat so it is wider than they are use to. They do not seem to want to use it, will they get use to it or should I try to get some 2x2's and change it out. This will be their first night in the new coop.

Lots of people use 2x4's flat side up. It's supposed to be better for winter anyway. It's just new to them, if it's their first night dont' worry about it. If they still don't want to use them in a few weeks, maybe then think about changing them, but try to let them adjust to the change first.

Quote:
When people say "round the edges" how much do they mean? like sand it down a little or router the edge? or what?

Quote:
When people say "round the edges" how much do they mean? like sand it down a little or router the edge? or what?

Personally I don't think it's a huge deal unless you have really pretty sharp-edged 2x4s.

Sure, whatever you have handy that works is fine. Sand, router, drawknife, old plane you don't mind abusing, whatever.

Actually when I have cutoff bits of 2x4 that naturally have some wane on them (where some of the wood is missing because the template for cutting the 2x4 encountered the outside of the log it was cut from? Often have a bit of inner bark still attached?) I preferentially use those for roosts because the waney parts are naturally kinda rounded/blunted on the corners
smile.png
Also IME some lots/sources of 2x4s have naturally more rounded-off corner edges than others do, dunno why.

I also use 5-6" diameter dead tree branches, debarked, for some roosts. The chickens do not seem to have an obvious preference between the two.

Pat

I use 2x4s wide side up - and at first had to go out every night and put them on the roost - they didn't seem to know what they were supposed to do. Then I got 2 older hens - who roosted on them immediately - and the others are now okay with the roosts.

Try putting them on the roosts after they have gone down for the night - they may wake up and figure it out

I didn't round the corners and they do fine.

Quote:

I came in on the edge about a 1/4" and ran them down the table saw. I had 3" wide x 1 1/4 thick Oak handy. They seem to like a little better grip but they really haven't said.

Back
Top Bottom