Is a 6x7 coop to big for 6-7 chickens?

Skyla

Chirping
Aug 10, 2017
Northern Wisconsin
Hello,
Yes, this is the definition of a first world problem, I take full responsibility for that. Anyways, we're building a new coop for our 7 hens (we'd get more but our neighborhood ordinance only allows so many, and our 7 hens may or may not be going over that amount) and after using a 6x4 plastic garden shed that we adapted for a chicken coop for 4 years I am ready to move on to something a little bigger and better. We decided to build our own coop, and after planning out as much as I could I thought it would be around $300 to build. Boy was I wrong. I was unaware plywood (for siding) was so incredibly expensive. I decided to make the coop quite a bit bigger than we needed for some extra room and incase when we move we take the coop with us to a place we can have more chickens. However I heard that if the coop is too big and there's not enough chickens producing enough body heat they can get too cold in the winter. I live in northern Wisconsin so it gets really cold up here. Do you think a 6x7 coop will be to big and cause the birds to freeze in the winter? Thank you! (Also if you have any advice for cutting costs that would be much appreciated).

I think that's about right. My flock huddles together when it gets cold but they like to spread out in the heat.

Cost cutting...measure twice and cut once. Can you recycle any materials from your current coop? What about free materials on craigslist or freecycle?

Hello,
Yes, this is the definition of a first world problem, I take full responsibility for that. Anyways, we're building a new coop for our 7 hens (we'd get more but our neighborhood ordinance only allows so many, and our 7 hens may or may not be going over that amount) and after using a 6x4 plastic garden shed that we adapted for a chicken coop for 4 years I am ready to move on to something a little bigger and better. We decided to build our own coop, and after planning out as much as I could I thought it would be around $300 to build. Boy was I wrong. I was unaware plywood (for siding) was so incredibly expensive. I decided to make the coop quite a bit bigger than we needed for some extra room and incase when we move we take the coop with us to a place we can have more chickens. However I heard that if the coop is too big and there's not enough chickens producing enough body heat they can get too cold in the winter. I live in northern Wisconsin so it gets really cold up here. Do you think a 6x7 coop will be to big and cause the birds to freeze in the winter? Thank you! (Also if you have any advice for cutting costs that would be much appreciated).
The coop will not be too big. I don't think there is such a thing.
Chickens do not keep each other warm. They fluff their feathers to trap their own body heat and keep themselves warm. The key is a very dry, well ventilated coop.

I think that's about right. My flock huddles together when it gets cold but they like to spread out in the heat.

Cost cutting...measure twice and cut once. Can you recycle any materials from your current coop? What about free materials on craigslist or freecycle?

We've been unable to recycle materials from the old coop as the hens are still living there and we couldn't strip it without disrupting everything. I have been scouring craigslist and facebook marketplace for the last month or so and somehow haven't found anything we can use. We did find some windows for $5 to use and are currently looking for a door. We usually go dumpster diving for materials at houses in the process of being built but lately we haven't been able to find any.

We've been unable to recycle materials from the old coop as the hens are still living there and we couldn't strip it without disrupting everything. I have been scouring craigslist and facebook marketplace for the last month or so and somehow haven't found anything we can use. We did find some windows for $5 to use and are currently looking for a door. We usually go dumpster diving for materials at houses in the process of being built but lately we haven't been able to find any.
That's about par for the course isn't it? Do you have a habitat for humanity store anywhere around?

That's about par for the course isn't it? Do you have a habitat for humanity store anywhere around?

We do have a habitat for humanity store near us and we went to it last weekend but on par with everything else there really wasn't anything for building materials or anything we could use, mostly just home decor and furniture. We did pick a role of linoleum for the coop floor so not a total waste.

We do have a habitat for humanity store near us and we went to it last weekend but on par with everything else there really wasn't anything for building materials or anything we could use, mostly just home decor and furniture. We did pick a role of linoleum for the coop floor so not a total waste.
I think a LOT of people are doing the same thing you are. Chicken ownership is through the roof with all this stupid Covid stuff. Sorry, I can't think of anything else.

I think a LOT of people are doing the same thing you are. Chicken ownership is through the roof with all this stupid Covid stuff. Sorry, I can't think of anything else.

Yeah, we've been hearing that more and more people are getting into gardening, home projects and chickening, which is great. I guess i'll just have to suck it up and accept that the coop is going to be pretty darn expensive. Thanks for all the help!

wait !! if you can find wooden pallets, and you don't mind doing a little work, You can side the whole coop with short boards. If you put them on vertically, you can cut strips to cover the spaces between the boards and make it a board and batten siding. it will be air tight and strong..
You could also make the floors out of pallet boards..
I am also in N Wisc. Wausau. what town are you close to ?
around here there are barns that have collapsed from non use. lots of boards available there, probably for free..
I would make the coop no less than 8'x8'. and to me, that is tiny.
chickens do not huddle to keep warm.
Like someone already mentioned..

windows on the south side of the coop do add some warmth on a sunny cold day.
If there are no drafts and the floors are dry, the chickens will walk around and be content.
warm water to drink. keeping in mind that warm water will freeze quicker that cold. scientific fact.
I have electricity in my coops. I direct a milk house heater toward the waterer. that is all the heat the chickens need and the water does not freeze.
good ventilation so moisture does not form on the chickens' combs. and you will not have any frozen combs.
.....jiminwaUSAu.......

Back
Top Bottom