Is a bad roo a bad roo? Urgent If No Reply Possible Roo Death :( Plz

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Panhanle RIR, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Panhanle RIR

Panhanle RIR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Texas County, Oklahoma
    Well my SLW/RIR and my Mille Fluer D'uccle/Leghorn Roos were recentally moved with half the flock from the old flock in my grandma's [​IMG] backyard to my backyard.

Since being away from his dad my SLW/RIR has been thinking he is the cock of the walk and is "Raping" the little bany hens of my MFLDU/Lghrn and fighting him aswell i have tried carrying him around spraying him with water and holding him in a submissive position but he just gets right back up crows and runs to my lil bany roo

is there anything i can do because i am very close to both roos having raised them from eggs?
    but if nothing can be done we will be giving him to a family friend?

2. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there any way you can separate the aggressive roo for a while? He is establishing dominance in the new territory. I don't have enough experience with chickens to tell you if it will get better if you let him out - but it's possible that if you put him in "timeout" and let the other roo establish the territory as his it might help.

I have a SLW cross cockerel and he was the worst of my 7 cockerels to act aggressive to the pullets - even though he was not the dominant roo. I ended up separating my pullets because I was tired of them getting picked on. My SLW cockerel is fine now that he is in with all cockerels - he's a handsome guy and about half-way in the pecking order.

Good luck! I know how stressful it is when you have a misbehaving chicken!!!

[​IMG] Melissa

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He's a rooster. He will continue mating the hens and fighting the other rooster for dominance. It is the natural order of things. If this disturbs you, get rid of him. You can not change his normal behavior.

4. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    Quote:not 100% true i have like 12 roos barred rocks rir broilers oegb sebright silkies and others(actually probly closer to 20) never fight i have had 2 bad 1s that attacked me but never eachother and where rehomed

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Silkydragon, I'm not a betting man, but I will bet that either they are immature or in a bachelor pen. Roosters penned with hens will breed the hens and fight for dominance. [​IMG]

6. Panhanle RIR

Panhanle RIR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Texas County, Oklahoma
    Quote:But if i bring him back into the newly established flock wont he fight my bany roo for dominance?

7. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    Quote:would lose that bet free range and yr+ in age and a few younger but most are older

8. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
  9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    With patience and consistency, a roo can be molded into a model citizen. I have LOTS of roosters on my farm, and I do not have a single aggressive boy. I refuse to breed aggressive roos, and I refuse to tolerate their behavior. If I cannot correct their behavior, they are invited to dinner as I will not give them to anyone else, especially a family with kids. Most of the time you can correct it by spending time in the pen and exerting your influence as "head roo"... when he goes to mount a girl, knock him off. This is what he would do to a subordinate. But it isn't something you can do once or twice and be done... you need to be consistent and do it until he stops thinking he's the boss. [​IMG]

10. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It sounds to me like you were using behavior correction techniques that would be more effective in teaching him submission to you, not so much not to submit another rooster. It certainly is true that roosters can live together and not fight, but that's because they've established their pecking order, and everyone knows who's who. Your boy is trying to establish himself, now that he's out from under the leadership of his father. They need time to do that.

You also said that the SLW/RIR roo is "raping" the banty hens. You may see the banty hens as belonging solely to the banty rooster, but the chickens don't necessarily see it that way. I don't think he's a "bad roo." I think he's a normal roo doing what normal roos do. If he's being too rough with the hens and hurting them or if he's bloodying the bantam rooster, then i would be concerned.

If there is no blood, i would let them be - and if i wanted the banty rooster to be sole rooster to the banty hens, i would separate them into separate enclosures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by