Is a balloon crop normal?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Eggs4Sale, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    We butchered a turkey today and discovered a baseball sized crop that appeared to be filled with air. I punctured it with the knife tip and it deflated. I cut it open and there was nothing there. This turkey was butchered at noon and had been penned up since the sun set the night before. He free-ranged all day every day and was also fed chicken lay crumble (free choice because he was tall enough to reach into the bag and take his fill).
    His gizzard had lay crumble, lots of grit, and what looked like seeds but were probably worn-down corn bits. It all smelled sweet, like dates, because he ate them off the ground every day.

The roosters we butchered last month had swollen crops, too, but they had some lay crumble in their, too. Not just all air. They were NOT free range, and only got lay crumble.

Does the lay crumble cause a balloon crop, or is this normal in chickens and turkeys???

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I've never heard of this. I hope you get an answer.

3. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Yeah, me too! [​IMG]

4. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Nobody???????

5. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Yes it is normal for turkeys to have an air filled crop, they use the air filled crop to gobble, and make other noises.

Tom

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by