Is a Banty roo as loud as a standard roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wormy270, Jun 8, 2010.

1. wormy270

wormy270 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    I had to get rid of my RI Roo because he was waking my wife at 5:30 AM. I would like to have a Banty roo. Are they just as loud as a standard roo? My wife will kill me if I bring home another cock as loud as my RI Red was!![​IMG]

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Nope

Mine isn't and doesn't crow all day, either. Only when he sees movement outside the coop of when he's calling his harem [​IMG]

3. chicnfarmer

chicnfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    I haven't measured mine with any audio equipment so I lack empirical data, but I detect no difference in volume, but the pitch seems higher.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree the pitch seems higher. Last fall we went to a small poultry show. There were several large birds there that would crow occasionally and it sounded okay. There were quite a few banties there and they were crowing constantly. It was extremely bothersome to me.

5. TomKat

TomKat Out Of The Brooder

I have one roo and eight hens, all bantams. My roo is a silver seabright. He is as loud as a standard roo I would say. Mine and a neighbor's standard roo about a half mile away call to each other. I assume claiming territory. Honestly I don't think size will make a difference in volume. Some roos are inherently more noisy than others. As JerseyGirl pointed out her roo doesn't crow much. Mine crows several times each morning from about 10 minutes before sunrise to 10 minutes after. He also crows after sunset if a light on my shed comes on or I pass by with a flashlight. He also crows every time my wife or I come near. He also sounds the alarm (not really a crow) when danger such as a hawk or other potential predator is near. You may want to ask around or check craigslist and see if someone as a less noisy roo. Good luck.[​IMG]

6. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    My standard roo crows about 3-4 times per day. His crow is much nicer than his attitude. My little bany roos... the 2 that are crowing, crow all day long and the pitch is much shriller. It is slightly less loud, but the pitch makes it much more noticable. I am hoping as they mature, they will mellow out a bit. My previous banty roo had a shiller crow too, but he only crowed a few times per day.

I guess to make my long answer short.. if you wife was annoyed with a standard roo's crow, she is not going to be any happier with a banty roo.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I think it depends on the breed. I have a friend who is working on a breeding project right now to breed a quiet bantam rooster for suburban backyards. He's started with a Serama rooster because their crowing is typically only 40 percent of the volume of a standard crow. He's bred that roo to different OEGB and d'Uccle and other bantam hens, and is auditioning the youngsters as they reach crowing age. Last year's batch of roos weren't any quieter than their dad, though. So he's working on the project again this year.

There's a Serama rooster on Youtube that squeaks instead of crows.

I had to give away our Serama/OEGB roo because roosters are illegal where we live. But the fellow we gave him to says his crow is much quieter than his standard Australorp's.

8. Paco

Paco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Enid,Ok
    My bantam rooster had a really sqeaky crow but I don't think it was loud compared to my standard rooster and plus Its so funny to hear him crow.

9. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    I have both banty and full size roo's. The banties crows are HILARIOUS and not quite as loud but they make up for it with frequency. The banties easily crow twice as much as my larger roos.

10. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i had a silkie roo who would crow all day but it wasn't very loud. i still had to get rid of him and when i sent him of to another farm i saw their standard roosters crowing and they were ten times as loud as mine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by