Is a big red comb always an indicator that they'll lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Feb 14, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Today my 24 week old black star squatted!!!!! However, she still has very small comb and wattles, and they aren't very bright, either. Her sister has more developed comb, but still not giant. Anyway, the one with the smaller comb, Asha, did squat for the first time today! I'm hoping that means eggs are on the way. But will she wait a while longer until she looks more developed? How long after squatting do chickens usually lay? For my leghorn she layed three days after she squatted, but I'm guessing that's not normal.
    Thanks!

2. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Anybody know?

3. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

The amount of daylight you're getting could be a factor. Short hours of daylight affects some chickens' laying habits. Other than that, you'll just have to accept that they'll lay when they're good and ready and not before!

4. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011

Don't worry. I have learned that very well!!!! My white leghorn layed a 33 weeks- she just started around a week ago. Yup, nice and ready. So I'm not really that impatient- I've given up on early maturing layers. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by