Is a Black Australorp supposed to have some white feathering?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FF, Jun 8, 2010.

1. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hello. I have just about all of my BA have some white in them. Is this the breed? Or did the hatchery have crosses? Not all of them have it but some of them do. 5 of the 9 I have.

Leghorns. My leghorns have small speckled of lack in them. I know that s not the breed so what do I do?

I got all these chicks from hoovers. Really nice people and good prices. Thanks for any and all help. [​IMG]

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Give them time, they will be all black as they get older.

How old are they? Hoover's has nice BA.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  3. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    They are around 10 weeks. Thanks

4. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    I think on Ideals webpage they show a Leghorns that are white with black speckles. [​IMG] Dont know if that helps you with the Leghorns.

5. Heathercp

Heathercp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Durham, NC
    One of my BAs has a couple of white feathers that you can only see when she flaps her wings or stretches. They're all from McMurray stock. These are my first chickens, so I can't really compare breeds, but I think the BAs are just great. If it weren't for my kiddo wanting other kinds, I'd only have BAs in my flock.

6. Thundrr-Chicken

Thundrr-Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Dover, Ohio
    i got mine from a local lady that gets them from meyer... they all had/have white on them as chicks... they're getting darker as time goes by... they'll be pitch black with a green sheen when they grow up though

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Black australorps will have some white feathers until they are about 6 months old.

8. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Ok. Thanks a whole bunch everybody. I called and I just asked them if I cut the white out if it would go away. They said more than likely they would just grow out of it. So I just cut there feather here and there, Not many white ones though. Thank to everybody very much! [​IMG]

9. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quote:Yep they sure do don't they. I just looked at them. But I believe that it is a different breed. I am thinking it was just where they are in the woods and the get on the ground and dust themselves and that stuff. I got to looking at it all comes out except a little bit. It might just be dirt. Oh well. I 'll keep them no matter what. I absolutely love Hoover's Hatchery and I doubt I will ever stop ordering from them. They are very very good people and they have wonderful prices. They only thing I really would like to see out of them is Rhode Island Reds instead of Production Reds but I'll get over it [​IMG] [​IMG]

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=CWP&Product=353

10. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I' amazed you're asking this! I have a BA hen she's 1year old the end of this month. I was noticing her fethers also have white in them. The farmer I purchased her from just admitted she's actually a mix of BA,Gol Comet, Dominique, and Andalusian. I love this spunky little girl, no matter her heritage.

Birdwatcher804 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by