is a door needed?

guardian1

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 24, 2008
on the road
we converted a storage shed into our coop. i cut a hole in the side for a door, but it is open. we live in michigan, so it gets cold in the winter. my line of thinking is that chickens survived long before humans started putting them in coops, so they would be alright. we do have a heat lamp and regular lights in there for them. but is putting a door on the coop and closing them in at night necessary?

good question. i have one but the only time i close it is when i am cleaning out the coop.

i was wondering if a small sheet or small curtain (like a doggie door) would help hold in heat or if they would not figure out how to walk through it.

that's a good question. my wife quilts and that would be easy for her to make. i'm gone for work at the time and she's busy in the morning, so she and the boys do the chicken chores in the afternoon. she's concerned she'll forget to open the door in the morning from time to time, especially if she hasn't had her coffee yet!

Most predation occurs at night. Unless the run into which the opening faces is absolutely predator proof I would recommend a door. Additionally, keeping the coof draft free is vital during the winter. Without a door I don't think you could accomplish this.

Quote:
I have agree with OPA. But, you have to know I live where it very warm (only a few nights below freezing each year) so I am not sure my opinion is worth a great deal. Opa does have that cold to deal with, Makes sense to me.

the run is fenced in and the top of it is covered as well. our backyard is fenced as well and my dogs do an EXCELLENT job of keeping others out. those few critters (mostly groundhogs that have made the mistake of climbing the fence tend to get ... eatten.

You NEED to get them a door. If not you will most likely find a lot of chickens bodies everywhere. Good question though.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom