Is a droopy comb cause for alarm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by goldeneggtees, Sep 21, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, I have 8 b/o pullets all around 21 weeks old. They have all pretty much started laying. One I call "Big Red" has always seemed to have a very droopy comb. I thought it was funny but lately I've noticed it turning pale at times. She seems fine otherwise. I never thought it could be a sign that something is wrong but I started reading other posts and it's sometimes listed as a symptom.

I feel bad laughing at her now and I am completely worried that there might be something else going on. She's a wonderfully nice bird with a great personality - very sweet! See pic below…

What are all your thoughts on this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi again, not sure why but my post is not showing up on the home page message board area, so I am bumping it.

3. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I have 2 b/o in my mixed flock. and they both have the exact same droop in their combs, assumed it was normal. So I hope it is nothing to worry about. I'll be watching this thread for more "wisdom" here.

4. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    droopy may not be a cause of concern on its own, but the fact that its turning pale combined with the droopy may be.

any chance they have mites or worms?

you may want to concider putting her on isolation just in case it is something to be worried about.

I'm also hoping someone with more experience responds

5. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    They could have mites. I have started using DE in their coop sprinkled and mixed in with their bedding (pine shavings). Maybe I should sprinkle a little in in the area they dust bathe in, in the yard.

They do scratch often, so maybe that is it. What else can I do and what should I be looking for?

6. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    DE is a preventative. It will not kill mites once you have them. All of the chickens and the coop and ESPECIALLY the nest boxes have to be sprinkled with Sevin dust or poultry dust. That's the only thing that will work.

A pale comb could also mean a worm problem. If you don't already worm I would also set up a worming program to keep everyone healthy.

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    She looks just like one of my four Orpington hens. I call her Miss Floppy. She's two years old now and is just fine. I wouldn't worry.

8. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi all, upon closer inspection, I see little, tiny, blackish/brownish spots all over their feathers in the tail area and down the feathers.

All my chickens itch quite a bit. Me included sometimes and my dog was recently treated for fleas with frontline. Do you think this is flea poop that they have on them or are they mites? I do not see mites on their vent area, that looks clean.

Can mites bite me as well as them? What might be going on here?

I have to tell ya, this chicken thing wasn't as easy as I thought![​IMG]…

One of my birdies has been laying her eggs under the coop so yesterday we buttoned up the area so they don't get under there. I did one side and now I find the same hen has found her way under it from the other side (pretty clever as it's a huge coop) and she's under it just now trying to get out by poking her head through the lattice again and again.

They are driving me crazy right now with all the added stress and worry!

Did I mention that we are also having a problem with rats? We now have rat poison out in the little black bait boxes and those are hidden under the coop to where I thought the chickens couldn't gain access. I was told again and again by the exterminator that the chickens cannot get their heads into the hole and around to the bait stations but now that's a constant worry too. But having rats isn't an option either. I'm getting tired!

9. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Bumping!

10. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Not sure why but my new post isn't coming up on the home page so here I go again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by