Is a drop of VetRX Okay?

Swampy_9

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
Now i do Have another set of Chicks that i hatched the same time as these ones. There are Three but we have decided to keep them in separate brooders that way we can monitor them separately (i dont know why but this is how my parents decided it) We use Pinewood Shavings for both and i do clean it out regularly as they are a week and a day old.

One of my Chicks Did start panting Early Sunday and i also did turn off this heating lamp given my house is in the 80s. Either way yesterday she was still Breathing quiet heavy and let out at least two sneezes. However she sleeps just fine now and eats and drinks just fine as well as the other ones. I Did Purchase some VetRX and Corid just incase i needed it.

However today she was fine. She had no heavy breathing and did sneeze once but she was fine and active. Im Wondering would it be okay if i dip a Q-tip in the VetRX and just rub it on Her beak if that will Help and if i do should i also just rub some on the other ones as well just incase, Or Should i continue to monitor Her and the other two Chicks for anything else?

My Other Brooder They are just Fine! They continue to peck and sleep and eat just fine and gotten nice and big. But Should i also go ahead and rub some on them as well just for good measures? I haven't seen any dosage or clear answer about VetRX for Chicks. All Mine are around a week Old. So i just want to make sure i give them all a thriving Chance.

I will Note We are in Firewatch and the air is super dry and we do get some Pollen here and there. But i also clean where the brooders are Regularly too.

Would it be okay to rub just a bit on their beaks. Or Continue to monitor them just incase?

//edit: I also noticed another one sneeze. And Did see just slight Wetness on their Nostrils but i dont see any mucus build up, dont see anything on their eyes , just sneezing and the ocasional pant when they lay down after running around the entire brooder.

Last edited:
personally i wouldnt use wood chips for chicks .. not sure exactly how bad they are for them, but my guess is theyre not that 'good' for them depending on type .. id switch to paper or hay or grass or something .. i mow up several bags of clean grass, dry it on my garage floor .. good stuff, good for nest boxes to ..keeps for a long time if its dried good ie, i pack a jumbo sized bag for winter use ..

personally i wouldnt use wood chips for chicks .. not sure exactly how bad they are for them, but my guess is theyre not that 'good' for them depending on type .. id switch to paper or hay or grass or something .. i mow up several bags of clean grass, dry it on my garage floor .. good stuff, good for nest boxes to ..keeps for a long time if its dried good ie, i pack a jumbo sized bag for winter use ..
Oh? I was and continue to get told that Pine Shavings are good? Mine are the larger 'chunks' of them. Not too big and not fine at all. But i suppose i will have to try to move them to hay or something.

I start my chicks off on Potty Pads, that way I can monitor their poops but I do switch to pine shavings. Depending on where you get your shaving from; TSC has the fine & flakes, both are said to be "dust free" but find that the fines are dustier than the flakes. Some also use the "horse pellets" pellet (pines dust compressed to pellets) they are absorbent for all the water spills and break up which is ok.

Cedar is NOT good for poultry ... the smell is bad. Since the chick is doing fine, I'd just monitor. IF you ever dedcide to feed VetRX, dab under the wings. Since you say ambient is dry/pollen, that could be it also. Monitor for symptoms and enjoy

I start my chicks off on Potty Pads, that way I can monitor their poops but I do switch to pine shavings. Depending on where you get your shaving from; TSC has the fine & flakes, both are said to be "dust free" but find that the fines are dustier than the flakes. Some also use the "horse pellets" pellet (pines dust compressed to pellets) they are absorbent for all the water spills and break up which is ok.

Cedar is NOT good for poultry ... the smell is bad. Since the chick is doing fine, I'd just monitor. IF you ever dedcide to feed VetRX, dab under the wings. Since you say ambient is dry/pollen, that could be it also. Monitor for symptoms and enjoy
Should i apply The VetRX a certain way? or just with my fingers? As far as i noticed there is no dust at all just dust from their feed that they peck at at the very bottom. Should i switch to some Potty pads for a bit to monitor if the shavings were the problem?

You can use a Qtip but do not redip in the bottle or dip/dab some on your finger, different finger every time. You could switch to potty pads to see if it's the shavings but it's possible from the feed since you say it's dusty. You're raising this batch separate from the other, so put some distance between each in the event it's a respriatory issue.

Are these hatched from your stock? If so any in your flock not up to par?

You can use a Qtip but do not redip in the bottle or dip/dab some on your finger, different finger every time. You could switch to potty pads to see if it's the shavings but it's possible from the feed since you say it's dusty. You're raising this batch separate from the other, so put some distance between each in the event it's a respriatory issue.

Are these hatched from your stock? If so any in your flock not up to par?
alright ill keep that in mind.

Ill just have to triple clean it given they just love to knock the food out as much as they can so they begin foraging. I Do keep a pad on the very bottom as to absorb as much as it can.

No these chicks were hatched out of eggs a guy sold to us. My parents put me in charge of incubating and hatching, unfortunately ive also now given the task of watching them over and ive never raised chicks at all so i dont know anything at all. Im Honestly Surprised we ever got any chicks. I Did put these brooders a fair distance away and ventilate the house as much as i can given the heat as well.

Back
Top Bottom