is a duct tape saddle going to stop the hes from breaking the quills on my roosters back and tail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roosterlover897, Nov 5, 2014.

1. roosterlover897

roosterlover897 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2014
    I have a Light Brown Leghorn and he is gorgeous! I have noticed since he started molting the hens are breaking the quills off his back I tried the duct tape saddle and it seems to work will the duct tape give him any infections or anything and if there is a better solution to my problem even if its solitary confinement let me know thank you

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The duct tape will work, but it may pull out or restrict new feathers from growing. If he were mine, I would separate him from the flock until he was done molting.

3. roosterlover897

Nov 4, 2014
    i know im not getting that duct tape off without ripping out all his feathers so if i wait till it falls off if the feathers have not grown back i can just put him in confinement right?

4. Ilovefarming

Ilovefarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2014
    Hi,
    This is strictly my opinion but if it were me, I would separate him from the flock until he is finished molting. The duct tape will only restrict his feathers from growing easily and pull some out, and that will be very uncomfortable for him. You could always wait until it fell off of his feathers, but that could be a very long time. Plus, you would end up with straggly and tangled, sticky feathers, now that the duct tape has made them look terrible and it was hard for them to grow. Separating him would be easier for both him and you.

Hope this helps,
    Ilovefarming

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  5. roosterlover897

Nov 4, 2014
    hello Ilovefarming the next day you mentioned that his saddle fell off! I put him in a cage and i didnt have the heart i want to know it gets 20s at night and where the cage is it may stay in the lower 30s will he freeze to death and he doesn't have a light so i would sleep better knowing that when i get the courage to catch him and put him in the cage he will be safe and the cage is only 2 by 3 so thank you for helping!

[​IMG]

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:If your intent is to keep him separated until his feathers grow back in then you need a much larger pen for him and he needs to have proper shelter from the weather. Low temps at night are fine as long as he has proper shelter from wind/rain/snow etc. But 2x3 feet is not enough room for any extended period of time, unless your just planning on using that at night?

7. roosterlover897

Nov 4, 2014
    Thank you for all the great ideas, and the time you spent on helping me. I got to TSC and this lady recomended Blue Kote. BLUE KOTE WORKS MIRACLES apparantly hens hate the smell ( and since hens are semi color blind it blends in with the feathers so they cant see it) and I put it on and the hens want nothing to do with him so i'm glad i found a solution THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME. I will let you know what he looks like after recovery again thanks!!!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ilovefarming

Ilovefarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2014
    Good luck!! :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  9. roosterlover897

Nov 4, 2014
    for awhile he started getting worse, the hens figured it out and I put a red lamp and a heated bowl so they wont go long without water and he looks better now still continue to put on the blue kote.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by