Is a elevated coop better or on the ground?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by zachmath12345, Nov 6, 2014.

1. zachmath12345

zachmath12345 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2014
    I was wondering if a elevated coop was better?[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Depending on your climate and the overall size of the coop, it may be a tossup.
    I have one built onto a concrete slab. That eliminates hiding places for predators and vermin.
    The rest are elevated to chicken height or a bit higher.
    That gives them a place to cool off in hot weather. It's usually the coolest place around. If the coop is relatively large, it's also a dry place for dust baths even when all the surrounding area is either too wet or frozen solid in winter.

3. zachmath12345

Nov 5, 2014
    thanks but if it was elevated and you hade a hever chicken it would give them a wookout ?[​IMG]

It would be about 6ft long 5ft tall 5ft wide.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  4. pfewless

pfewless Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2014
    Good question, one I am pondering. I am putting in a 6x9x7 foot tall sloped to 6 foot at the back of the coop. Its metal on top and all sides. I will have a window on both sides and 4 nesting boxes at the back. This sits in a fenced 20x26 area. I plan to have rope light on a timer and am still trying to decide where to put the roosting sticks as well as the easy fill feeder and nipple watering system. Seasonally it will sport 2 screen covered grow boxes for grass and sprouts in the fenced area as well as hanging bags of greens. This will house 10-12 hens and 1 Rooster. Some for laying some for meat. Any advice is more than welcome. Please tell me the flaws in my plan as well as if I need to raise my coop.

5. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

In a smaller coop, it's easier to clean it when it's raised. You can also use the space under it as a covered area in the run. In a larger walk in coop, you'll enjoy the added room to work with when doing maintenance. Also, a raised coop will cool down quicker than one sitting on the ground in winter, and it will be hotter in the summer.

6. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    I made the mistake of using a plywood floor raised only a few inches off the ground. Rodent heaven.

7. zachmath12345

Nov 5, 2014
    What about puting the walk way under it leading in to the coop?[​IMG][​IMG]
    But thanks for all the advise.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, it needs to be on the ground or high enough for chickens to easily get under it.

9. autumnhearth

autumnhearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Berea, Ohio
    Our girls love to hang out under their coop in the heat, rain and I'm sure in the upcoming snow. It is raised about 2 ft off the ground and is surrounded on three sides by hardware cloth, the fourth side opens into their run. Instant extra space, cover and shade.

10. zachmath12345

Nov 5, 2014
    I was 4 to 5 feet of the ground[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by