Is a feeder necessary?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hmlongino, May 10, 2011.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    We have been feeding out free range flock by just throwing the layer crumbles/pellets out for them to eat up... and they do, with great speed. Do I need to have a feeder? Does everyone offer feed free choice? That seems like it could cost a fortune? Unless, they don't eat more than they need to?

We have been giving our laying hens approximately a half cup each. Plus, they free range and we have produce and table scraps regularly.

Thanks a bunch!
    Holly

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I would think that if you are feeding scratch, a feeder is not necessary. Crumbles or pellets? I would put that in a feeder, as it will dissolve if it comes into contact with moisture, then the chooks will not eat it. And chickens onlly will eat what they need, so it wouldn't be wasteful. but, if it is working for you, then don't worfy about it. [​IMG]

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I'd suggest a feeder just for the simple reason that just tossing feed on the ground will be wasteful. Surprisingly chickens that free range will not overeat but will come to the feeder as they need to. On the other hand if you're tossing food to them once a day they will tend to gorge themselves on that then go elsewhere to eat more. In fact, I've found that most animals that are allowed food 24/7 are less likely to overeat than if they are given a feeding once or twice a day. [This might work for humans too but haven't tried it. [​IMG]]

4. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Thanks! They have a coop that they go in to lay and sleep... I need to figure out where to put a feeder that the goats can't get to it! [​IMG]

About how much a day should they be eating (laying hens)?

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:How about putting the feeder in the coop? As far as food--my 46 birds go through about 250 lbs of layer feed per month when they are free ranging. More during the winter when they don't go out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by