Is a goose for me?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Junkybird, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Junkybird

Junkybird Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Dacusville, SC
    Hi there, I need some advice. We already have 15 chickens and 5 guineas. Our neighbor dogs (shih-tzu's) are chasing our guineas. The chickens don't seem to be bothered by them. We can't afford to fence in our entire acreage (close to 3 acres) but want to keep those silly dogs away. Will a couple of geese do this for us? I've heard that they can be nippy and protective. I want something to keep those dogs off of my property and thought that geese might do the trick because of sheer size and character. Please set me straight on this [​IMG]

2. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    A donkey will take care of those dogs! [​IMG]

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Not all geese are mean, but the ones that are... well aren't they mean to EVERYONE?

Have to look at the pros and cons... sure they might scare off the little yippers, but they may also attack YOU!

In the same situation, I'd probably get a dog of my own. But then, I've seen households where the tiny little yipper ruled the roost and the big "scary" dog was the patsy, so you just never know. In established territory a visiting dog would be seen as a trespasser, but if they are there first then yours might just think they belong there. Yeah, tricky.

Don't suppose Animal Control could do anything? Maybe with pictures of them harassing your animals?
    If they are a threat, even only by scaring your birds to death, then maybe something could be done?

What about those electric wires everyone's talked about? Perhaps just along the area where the yippers typically cross over?
    I know if I got zapped I would hesitate to try again...

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    A goose will not last aganist a dog..no way. the goose would just die a horrible death..
    They will TRY to protect your yard aganist them though.. but if the dogs decided to attack them, the geese would just be killed along with your chickens ...
    I just went through this.. my dogs got into my backyard and killed off most of my ducks.... the few remaining ducks were found hiding behind my 2 geese in their goose pen... and my geese were hissing spreading their wings to protect the ducks...
    I dont know how or why my geese survived..but my dogs didnt attack the geese....BUT..i think thats ONLY because they had enough small ducks to chase and kill instead...
    if my dogs would have turned their attention on my geese, i have no doubt that they would have been killed also...so..to sum this up..
    NO, do not get geese to protect anything aganist dogs... the geese will just be killed also...

5. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Without a fence, you will not be able to keep a goose on your property.

6. Junkybird

Junkybird Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Dacusville, SC
    A donkey will take care of those dogs!

Haha, I wish. A donkey sure would be great. Around here people get livestock dogs to guard. Maybe I should just do that.

What about those electric wires everyone's talked about? Perhaps just along the area where the yippers typically cross over?
    I know if I got zapped I would hesitate to try again...

Yes, this might be a cheaper idea than a regular fence.

I agree redhen about what you said. These dogs are tiny though. I can't see them attacking a goose at all.

Without a fence, you will not be able to keep a goose on your property.

Now THIS is very helpful. I did not know I needed a fence. Guess this rules out geese? Anybody keep them without fences?

Thanks for all the replies. I look forward to more [​IMG]

7. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Sorry I'll be the bad guy, if my neighbors dogs were chasing my girls, in my yard. The dogs would meet at the very least MR. bb gun.

You say you have 3 acres, that's a long way to come over and chase. What would you do if they were a bobcat, or coyote?

Just my 2 cents.

TGP

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Have you talked to the neighbors about keeping their dogs on their property?

9. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    You can definitely keep a goose on far less than three acres, but they won't *stay* on three acres without a fence. If I leave the pasture gate open my geese gladly range all over five acres and think nothing of ducking under horse fencing to go elsewhere.

Electric goat fence or pasture netting (horse or cow fence) can definitely contain them.

I *love* geese but want to be upfront. I think my gander could beat up a poop-zu, but it might be easier to hound the neighbors.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  10. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Well, I'm pretty darn sure that my African geese could handle a nonsense-hu (sp?) but they won't stay put without a fence. Geese are grazers and that makes them roamers.

[​IMG] I'm also pretty sure that my donkeys would stomp a little foo foo dog into the mud.

ETA: Forgot to mention that unlike posted above, that geese aren't mean. They are just super protective and can be highly social with their families.

Okay, some geese are mean. But most are just protective of their territory and flockmates.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by