1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is a GQF mini chickbator worth the cash?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zaylinda, Dec 17, 2009.

1. zaylinda

zaylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Hi Folks,
    I was wondering if the GQF chickbator has any chance at all of hatching eggs.
    Does anyone have any experience with them?
    I know that with it's small size, it would be susceptible to room temperature changes, would wrapping it in a blanket help?
    Thanks for your help,
    -Zay

2. zaylinda

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Sorry to bump, folks, but this is the one incubator I was talking about.
    https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=272
    I have been fascinated by this incubator since I was a kid. It's cute, affordable, and has that tantalizing chance to hatch your own eggs.
    However - I don't know how reliable it actually is.
    Has anyone had any luck using one?
    -Z

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Never used one myself, but have hear some bad things about them. The small to hold the temp right is the biggest complain. Either build one or save your money and get a store bought one. Either way I think you would be better off.

4. zaylinda

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    That's what I was worried about.
    I guess I'll save up my money to make one myself.

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    They have some nice plans here. But I think if you follow some of MissPrissy's more conventional plans, you can't go wrong. She does go overbroad sometimes, but she proves a great point, you can hatch eggs in anything if you keep the temp and humidity correct.

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    the GQF hovabator works good if you get the non-wafer one, untill you get one built, I've got one along with my sportsman

7. Freddy

Freddy Out Of The Brooder

I hatched out 2 out of 3 eggs with mine. I had to use more aluminum foil for more heat from the light bulb and to retain the heat I had to place it inside a small cardboard box. You'd have to buy a digital thermometer with a probe because the thermometer tht comes with it doesn't work that well. It is a lot work though. I rotated them six times a day and placing the foil just right took me a long time.

1 person likes this.
  8. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    put a light bulb in a box and you have the same thing. no thermostat or air flow. spend twice the money and get a 1602 (42.00) and you will have better luck.

9. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    I bought one of these and tried it...Sorry, what a joke. It's more work then it's worth. I threw mine away.

10. Freddy

Freddy Out Of The Brooder

Quote:Yup. Same here it went to the garbage now I have 2 little giants, much easier to work with [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by