1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is a Heat Lamp really necessary in Florida, summertime?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gabrielle, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    I'm getting chicks, but everybody says don't buy a heater. I am worried that the temperature will not be warm enough.

What do you think? [​IMG]

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes I think it's needed. Make sure the brooder is big enough for them to get away from the light. If you have them outside in a brooder and it's 100* during the day you could get away with turning it off. But unless you live in an area where the temps dont drop at all at night you need to provide heat for them. Newly hatched chicks need the warmth, or they can die. Better to provide the warmth and a large enough area for them to get away from it if they want to than to risk their health. I brood mine inside and always provide heat untl they are pretty much fully feathered.

Good luck with your new chicks!

3. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    Hi, and welcome!
    The new chicks need to stay: warm, dry, and out of drafts. The first week it is suggested that chicks stay at 95 degrees, the second week 90 degrees, and step down 5 degrees each week. They should be able to go into the warm area, and also be able to move away from the heat source if they want to. If they get cold they might huddle together in a corner, and depending on how many chicks you have, some could suffocate.

I would imagine that being in FL you might not need a heat source for too long.

So, tell us how many chicks, and what they are??
    [​IMG]

4. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Hi, we are getting 7 chicks, Rhode Island Red, Red Star, Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Partridge Plymouth Rock, Easter Egger and Australorp.

What do you think?

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would probably put a little heat on them at night. I raised some chicks in my coop in May, lows in the 60's, used one red heat lamp, turned it off during the day after a few days and off entirely after 2 or 3 weeks. I did this by their behavior. With our current temps I would not turn it on during the day even with day olds. (I'm assuming you will have them outdoors. If they will be indoors in AC, then yes, they will need heat.)

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

watch the chicks.. they will tell you what they need.. if they are huddled together.. they are cold and need heat.. if they are spread out they are fine.. if they are panting and have droopy wings they are too hot

I have some chicks here now that are only a few days old.. it was hot in the house last night so they spent the night without any heat.. here in Texas it's been in the upper 90's and low 100's.. some need the heat and others don't.. I let them tell me what they want

7. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    yes you do need to keep them in a brooder with a heat lamp until they are 4weeks old

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Everyone's giving you good advice. I'm in western West Palm Beach and when I get chicks I'll keep them indoors for a few weeks in a big box with just a desk lamp on one end. I've done this often enough that I don't bother with a thermometer, just watch the chicks and let them tell me if they're too hot or cold. Once they get big enough to be really stinky I'll put them outdoors during the day in a bottomless cage on the grass, but still bring them indoors at night until they get bigger & feathered. If they seem cold indoors I'll put the desk lamp on for them, otherwise I let them be.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    This time of year I only use a light at night and then only for the younger chicks. If you're brooding inside in the air conditioning that would be different. All of mine are brooded outside so in the summer it's more of a problem not to overheat them than keeping them from becoming chilled.

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have chicks that were hatched last Sunday. The last 2 days I have only turned the lamp on at night. Thats because it has been horrible hot here and I dont have AC in my house, so their brooder has stayed at about 90. They are all doing fine running around being chickies. I have 3 bantam mixes and 4 LF mixes in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by