Is a heating pad enough heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ncCHICKS, Nov 27, 2008.

1. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    I want to raise about 3 chicks. Is a heating pad covered with newspaper enough?

2. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    I have never used a heating pad but i know the newspaper is too slippery for them to walk on.....use paper towels or non slip self liner.....both work good.....

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I've only used a heating pad to warm a chicken that had fallen into a trough of water. Her legs were so froze she couldn't move. I dried her with towels and set her on the pad. Be careful with the setting as you don't want it to get too hot. Maybe offer them something to jump up on, or the area bigger so they can run off and on the pad. Might work [​IMG]
    Cover with other than newspaper, make sure they do not peck wire and get shocked if it gets wet from their water spilling.
    Good luck!

4. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    I use a light and a 100 watt light bulb for all mine and they are always on pine chips except for first 24 hours they are on paper towels to stablize there legs..Hope this helps Good luck.....

[​IMG]:ya

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have used a heating pad. I covered it with an old towel. Mostly I use a brooder lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by