Is a hen house 4 feet by 10 feet big enough for 8 hens and 1 rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by delsi64, May 17, 2009.

1. delsi64

delsi64 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Riverton
    I have heavy breed chickens? We made a coop 4 feet by 10 feet. It has a dirt floor. Is that big enough for 8 hens and one rooster? the solid wood only goes up 4 feet and then there is chicken wire. It is about 9 fet tall. we haven't put a roof on it yet because we built in it the barn so it is protected. they get sunlight because it is built so the side of the hen house is the side of the barn. We are trying to decide if we want to build a run onto it. Do we have it big enough? Do they need a run?. Thanks

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    If they have a run the house will be big enough. I would definitely build a run. They enjoy a long one soooo much. My come out of a morning with their wings just flapping like, let me out , Oh boy this is heaven. they stretch and sing like crazy. The sun and fresh air is really good for them.. Gloria Jean

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, it's large enough, if that is just the coop measurements without the run. Like Gloria Jean said, they do love the fresh air and sunshine!

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes, as stated by the two above but I just wanted to add that you have taken predators into account. I have friends who had their chicks in an enclosed barn stall with a dirt floor and something dug under the wall (almost a foot down and under and then up) and got into their chicks and killed some. Just food for thought. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, absolutely! Seems the worst predator losses are in barns because there seem to be so many gaps/weak points. Chirpy is so right about making sure everything is predator proof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by