is a house necessary in Southern California climate?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jen_from_chile, May 1, 2009.

1. jen_from_chile

jen_from_chile New Egg

May 1, 2009
    Hi everyone--I just joined, and I hope this question isn't too repetitive. I tried searching, but no luck. I live in a climate that is very similar to southern California--hot, dry summers and mild, rainy winters. We really only get a few storms a year, and winter temperatures get down around freezing but not usually below. I'm planning to start constructing a chicken run soon so it will be ready for the spring. (Our seasons are opposite yours, so we're in fall now. Our coldest winter months are July and August) I'm wondering if the chickens will be OK with the run and nesting boxes, or if they really will need a complete house. My carpentry skills are nonexistent, so the simpler this thing is, the better.

Thanks for your advice!

Jen

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    They will not need a complete house, persay, but they will need shelter regardless.

I saw a few pages back a discussion about a three walled coop for those in warm climates. Basically it's a bus shanty with nest boxes and roosts for them to lay and hang out in, especially when it's raining..

That should be all you need.

3. mygor

mygor Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Mount Perry , Ohio
    Not a coop per say. But cover from the weather will be necessary. You could just put a tarp over one end. To give shade and protection from the rains.

4. jen_from_chile

jen_from_chile New Egg

May 1, 2009
    Thanks! The three-sided coop looks excellent. I was thinking of just having a solid back on the wind side (mostly just a breeze), but enclosing a nook should be feasible. The area is backed by trees, so the hens would get morning sun, with shade by noon, as I am think the heat will be an issue six or seven months out of the year.

5. BadSpongeBob

BadSpongeBob New Egg

May 1, 2009
    I'm glad I saw this post. I live in SoCal, I'm thinking about getting a couple hens, and my carpentry skills are also lacking. That 3 sided coop is sounding good!

6. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    I live in Southern California, and I built a small pent-roof design henhouse. I'm glad I did. Mild weather notwithstanding, the biggest reason I'm glad I have a place to lock them in at night is predators. I sleep well when they sleep, because I know nothing can get to them.

As for carpentry skills, I'm no expert. I just kind of experimented and built a wooden box with a sloped roof. It seemed pretty straightforward and my four girls love their house.

Take care,
    Scott

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    You should get them a mini-yurt. [​IMG]

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Yes, they tolerate cold better than heat, so the breeze and shade will be good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by