Is a latex stain/sealant safe for chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GimmeCake, Jul 26, 2013.

1. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Songster

May 8, 2013
    I got some Olympic Stain and Sealant. All I know is that it's latex. Is it safe to use on my coop? I'm not painting the inside (I did paint the floors with primer, but that's another story). The front wall of the coop, which leads into the run, will be the only contact the chickens will have with the paint. So basically the chicken door will be painted. Could they try and eat it? Or is it just not safe to use on the door at all?

1 person likes this.
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I did a search for latex stand and found a couple of threads that discuss. Give it a try. Good luck to you!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  3. chynasparks

chynasparks Songster

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    Well, I'm sorry I don't have a formal answer for you. We painted our coop with paint with latex. I made sure there wasn't any little splinters or chips that my peeps will peck at. Sanded edges, ect. They should be moving into their coop tonight. We chose the color of the house, Serious grey. My husband says what doesn't get used can be used on the house. It's a bit dark for the coop but it does blend nicely when you see it from the road. I may do some decorating on the outside to break up the all grey thing. I would just make sure it dries and the paint smell is basically gone, especially in your closed nest area. I think you will be fine. Good luck.

4. JackE

JackE Crowing

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Go ahead and paint it. Latex is no problem after it's dry. I painted my coop inside and out with it. The chickens don't mess with it at all. It's the old lead based paint, that flakes off and could, maybe pose a problem. Also, caulk, chickens love to pick at old loose caulk.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: