1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is A Mature Rooster My Best Choice???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by teach1rusl, Jan 16, 2010.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

We’re looking at getting a rooster this spring. I will be looking for one who is known to be friendly w/people and gentle with hens. My five girls are my babies, and I won’t handle ill treatment of them well. Fertility levels don’t matter, as I am not interested in producing chicks.

I’ve read a LOT about younger roosters being really rough on hens, and I DON’T want to have to deal with that. Is there a downside (besides fertility, which isn’t important to me) to getting a rooster who’s a few years old? My girls will be about 6 months old by the time we plan to look for one. I'm sure it varies, but by what age are roosters typically “settled”? Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you really can't handle your hens being jostled at all, IMO you're better off without a roo. He's going to be pretty rough at first as he brings them into submission. That's his job. The hens need to know without a doubt that he is the boss and what he says go. He says "jump" and they say "how high?". This is important when it comes time for him to protect them. If he makes a warning alert, the hens need to listen, no questions asked.
    Also, chicken matings are not pretty; no matter how you look at it; even with a extremely gentle roo.
    To answer your original question, I'd say by a year a rooster is pretty settled in his personality. This can be affected though by the enviroment he's coming from. If he's been the sub. roo in a flock with other roos, he's likely to to go nuts the first time he has a harem to himself.
    The benefits of having a roo far outweigh the cons IMO, but you have to remember they are going to be chickens and roos will always be roos.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Of my two roos, one I raised from a chick, the other I bought from Jean (pips&peeps) when he was three months old.

Both are very nice with the hens.

If I had to choose, I'd say get them young.... let the hens put them in their place until they learn to take their place.

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I wish you were closer I have an awsome young roo that needs a home. my six year old totes him around. he is an EE mix ( I think) cheek poofs. he is orange and black. I don't want him breeding with my cochin hens. He came with some hens I bought , I've had him since he was 2 months old. do you ever make it to the waterloo IL swap ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by