1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is a mouse dangerous??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by smom1976, Jul 1, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    We have a mouse.. it is getting into the run and getting leftover scraps that the chickens miss..

do I need to worry.. I where I could put some bait and the chickens wouldnt be able to get to it..

Do I need to be worried?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Chickens might catch it! [​IMG]

3. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    the mouse is about 3 inches (the body part) it comes in at night when the ladies are on their perch..

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Rodents can always cause potential problems with disease so I'd certainly figure out how to get rid of it asap. If your chickens have a chance to catch it that would solve the problem but if it only comes at night that's difficult. I'd certainly try to catch it - use a non-bait type trap (I think they are called Have-a-heart or something), they work quite well and the they can't hurt the chickens in any way.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have a tiny little plastic box trap thingie - paid $1.50 at walmart - its really great.

6. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    My DH is trying to unjam an airsoft gun for me to try and get it..

he cant get it mouse is safe for tonight..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have cats that can patrol the coop when the chickens are out or cruise the run when they are in?

8. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    As stated above disease is the biggest problem. If they get into the feed not only will the eat it, but they will defacte and urinate in it. They can get out of the smallest Hav-a-hart trap unless you retrofit it with hardwire cloth. If you can't get out there to pick up a snap trap before your girls get up look for the plastic no-kill traps.
    Remember mice mostly like to run along surfaces since they can't see great, so placing the trap along the wall you think they are coming in will increase your chances of catching it.

Oh yeah, and the mouse you see is only the tip of the iceberg. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    We have a resident pair of chipmunks, Harry, and, you guessed it, Chippy. They have a hole going into the garage where the coop is and eat the spilled seeds (outside the coop but inside the garage). They aren't causing a problem and the hens don't mind, so we let them stay.

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:It's rare to have one mouse. If you see one, you probably have more. I would put a cat in the coop (unless you have chicks in there).
    JMHO
    Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by