Is a noisy chick an indication of a rooster?

samzoost

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2018
Hi!
I have a silver laced wyandotte i recently got along with a silkie who had a broken leg. both are about one week old. the SLW loves to sing, though. I got her because i wanted the silkie to have a companion as she's probably going to be disabled for her whole life. i'm worried because she is very noisy, and it worries me that she may be male. and i cannot keep a rooster. about a month ago i purchased a golden laced wyandotte and it turned out to be a rooster, and that will not be ideal in this case since i'm intending for the 2 to bond. she has a brown splotch on her head, which the golden laced wyandotte also had. she was the smallest of all of the other chicks, and is supportive (and protective!) of the silkie. she doesn't do it all of the time, but quite a bit. she has food and water in her brooder constantly. i know this is a little early. but could this be any indication of her being a rooster?

She could be. You may have to wait for a crow. My loudest chick ever turned out to be a roo, but he was a silent one. He would only crow just a few times during the day. And did not make much "chicken chatter" noise. His brother is a loud mouth though and did not make much noise as a chick.

Noisiness at that age is not really an indicator of sex. Later in life its the hens that seem to make most of the noise actually. What kind of noise is she/making? Could there be something bothering it?

Back
Top Bottom