Is a pullet's first egg always small?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Henrietta23, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I couldn't find an answer in a search. We have 11 pullets. One red star has been laying for about 2 weeks (guess that makes her an ex-pullet!) We have an older hen who also lays but she lays white eggs. This morning my son checked the nest boxes for eggs and said there were none. I checked later in the morning and found two brown eggs both about the same size. Neither was warm as if just layed. But he collected an egg from Henrietta yesterday. So where did this second brown egg come from? One is slightly lighter brown than the other. Henrietta's eggs have been a pretty dark brown for a red star. Don't know what to think! Except that if it is someone else's, it's about time!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    Pullets first egg is usually small at first then as the pullet develops the egg will increase in size. I have only had one pullet that laid a huge first egg and she consistantly lays jumbo size eggs. As for the rest they do start out small.

Congratulations on another first egg! [​IMG]

3. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Well, thanks! I'm not convinced it is a first egg just yet. Henrietta did exactly that, laid a tiny egg, then they got progressively larger. Her 7th or so had two yolks and was huge then she went back to "normal". I think it's more likely we missed one somehow but if it happens again I'll know!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  4. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Two brown eggs again today! Guess it was Butterscotch's first yesterday. Three eggs a day, 9 more pullets to go. [​IMG]

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Chook's eggs have always been pretty close in size. No early small ones. They did drop a little when I diluted her scratch with oats for the summer, though.

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Ed: d/p 'delete'.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  7. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    d.k :

* Chook's eggs have always been pretty close in size. No early small ones. They did drop a little when I diluted her scratch with oats for the summer, though.

The other red star laid a few smaller ones then they jumped in size. She's only gone one day without laying in two weeks.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by