Is a Red Sex Link a bird that can be showed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Live Oak Farms 01, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Live Oak Farms 01

Live Oak Farms 01 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Well, I got a 6 from TSC's Red pullet bin, thinking it was an NHR, and realized it was a Red Sex Link. Is this breed a breed that could be showed or are they mainly used for meat or eggs?
    Thanks,
    Live Oak Farms [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    these birds are used for eggss and they are not an acutaly breed of chickens they are just a hybred but i dont see why you coulnt show it

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Not in any APA sanctioned show. They're not a breed, but a hybrid as has already been noted.

There are non-APA shows such as county and state fairs where you may be able to show them under certain classifications. You'd need to read the rules for the particular show to be sure though.

4. Live Oak Farms 01

Jun 2, 2011
    Quote:Eggs? Ok.

5. Live Oak Farms 01

Jun 2, 2011
    A.T. Hagan :

Not in any APA sanctioned show. They're not a breed, but a hybrid as has already been noted.

There are non-APA shows such as county and state fairs where you may be able to show them under certain classifications. You'd need to read the rules for the particular show to be sure though.

Thanks for the help! What is it a mix of?​

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    There's several mixes, depending on the hatchery. Since it's not a specific breed, there's nobody going around and making sure specific ratios are being used. The basic cross for gold sex link is a New Hampshire male, and a White Rock female.

Here is a good site that discusses these hybrids fairly thoroughly:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

Hope that helps!

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Almost no chicken bought through a feedstore or hatchery will be show-worthy. For that you need birds from a breeder who breeds to the standard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by