Is a rooster a problem for my eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggmandoo, Nov 28, 2016.

1. eggmandoo

eggmandoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2016
    Notts, uk
    Apologies if it's an obvious answer but I'm new to all this. I have one or two laying hens at present and a 16 week old cockerel. Is there any issue with keeping the roo with laying chickens. I just want eggs to eat. I'm concerned that eggs may get fertilised and this will affect whether I can eat the eggs.
    Ta in advance

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Whether or not an egg is fertile has absolutely no effect on its edibility. Unless someone told you, you cannot tell the difference. The only thought I have is if you have only one or two hens and a cockerel, your hens will get way overbred and probably loose feathers. A rooster can easily service ten hens. Early this spring I had a 20 to 1 ratio and 100% fertility in my eggs (I and some friends were hatching some.).
    Just wanted to add you may want to get several more pullets if you keep the cockerel.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Fertile or not you can eat the eggs.

4. eggmandoo

eggmandoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2016
    Notts, uk
    Thanks. I have 5 hens. Three Pol and two at 16 weeks. I think the roo is going to go. I don't want to upset my neighbors.

5. Trouble1391

Trouble1391 New Egg

Nov 28, 2016
    Pensacola Florida
    If the crowing is the problem get a rooster collar or "no-crow" collar.... significantly reduces the sounds when he crows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by