Is a solid polish show quality?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JordanFamily, Apr 24, 2008.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    I have received some chocolate polish and black polish eggs and they are going to be solid colored with out a white crest but with a self color crest. Is this a showable color? Does it count against them to have non white crests? Thanks, Kristina

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure if it's recognized, try looking up the polish breed club and seeing.

3. JordanFamily

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Thanks, I found my answer there, and shucks....Their not! But They will still make beautiful pets!!! Thanks, Kristina

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    If the birds end up being SQ, they can be shown. Unrecognized varieties would be shown as AOV, in this case it would be self black and self chocolate.

BTW, where did you get the chocolate eggs??

5. JordanFamily

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Well i'm glad, because I know nothing about showing and I would hate to give some to a 4H project and them not be showable. I got them on eggbid. They cost me $25 for a dozen after shipping. The lot has self blacks and self chocolates, and if i'm real lucky maybe a self khaki. I got them from: [email protected]

Wish Me Luck!

6. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    First, different shows have different rules

4-h do not follow APA book of Standards, for example a common 4h project here is, they give out 25 chicks to kids, at the end of 6 months , I think it is, they show them. The breeds used are one of the commercial variety, like Tyson 125 .

County fairs - quite frankly , I am not sure what standard our county fair go by, Last year the rooster that won, was handsome indeed, but didn't fit come close to fitting the Brown Leghorn standard.

APA - shows - many of these shows will allow APA recognized breeds , with non-approved standards. While they will not be able to send their points in to the APA, the shower can still win best in breed or best in variety. I know , I use to bring my BLRW to shows. They are judged on the overall breed qualities.

I personally believe thats the best way to get new varieties accepted (as long as the breeding rules are valid).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by