Is a trip to the vet a good idea when getting new chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by franklinchickens, Sep 20, 2010.

1. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    We are looking at getting 1 or 2 new chickens from a nearby woman who is looking to pare down her flock. About the same age as mine, maybe a bit younger. Mine are about 6 months old, hers are about 4 months. We do not have a good setup to separate the chickens though we might be able to block off a portion of the run for a while. Still wouldn't be ideal as it isn't that big (my chickens free range during the day so the run isn't huge).
    I was thinking of taking them to the vet right after we get them and have them checked out for general health. I'm not sure what to look for when I visit her place besides obvious neglect or really sickly looking chickens.
    I know you are supposed to quarantine for 30 days but I just don't see how we can do that with our space & set up. We don't have a garage, or any sort of fenced off area that would be secure. We don't even have an extra bedroom. And even if we blocked off a portion of the run, they could still have contact through the wire. I'm concerned - any thoughts?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I would not risk it. No go for me if I didn't have a separate setup for quarantining birds.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Blood tests, expensive

Some diseases won't rear their ugly heads until the birds are stressed, then it popped up even your vet declare it healthy at the time.

4. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I really appreciate the feedback. I'm wondering if maybe I could look at getting a few more from the breeder we originally got out chicks from. Do you think this would make a difference?
    Either that or we need to get really creative. We spent so much time & effort getting out coop and run safe and secure, that I worry about putting chickens elsewhere. Hmmm.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If you can, get yourself a BIG rabbit hutch and stick it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the other side of your house, like the front of your house next to a bush or a tree, put a garbage can enough to feed them for 30 days, and water....that would be your quarantine area. Or a place where your chickens do not go near like the alligator pond LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by