Is all purpose fertilizer a danger to backyard chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sunkissed, Aug 13, 2011.

1. sunkissed

sunkissed Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    We have a veggie garden, berry patches, flower beds, etc that we need to fertilize (using 10-10-10 granules). Does anyone know if this would hurt the chickens or make them sick? We never use any weed killers or any other chemicals on our lawn of course.
  2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Afterwards, you should wait until it has rained hard enough or you've watered enough that you no longer see the granules. They won't generally eat after a taste or two, but any amounts not good for 'em. And, while going for bugs, they'll likely get more than a bit of a taste. Better to use orgnanic fertilizers or even chicken poop fertilizer....
  3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Good question! I decided not to use broadcast fertilizer and bought fertilizer spikes for every plant in my garden, which has worked really well actually. [​IMG] I did use some fertilizer this spring on my tomato plants but spread it only inside of their wall of waters. I did NOT want the chickens eating it! If you do use this fertilizer, like chi-rn said, water it in well before letting the chickens range in the area. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by