Is an Automatic Chicken Door Worth $225

NewOldMotherHen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
I am looking at the Pullet-Shut Automatic Poultry Door. Both the door and the frame are made of aluminum which I believe is better than wood. It opens outward like a house door. Is this product reliable? Is it worth the money? Could a woman (me) of average mechanical skills (me) install it? The $225 is a lot of money, but I am willing to splurge if the door is going to work and last a long time. Reviews would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.chickendoors.com/products.htm

Last edited:
There is a way way cheaper one -- and they advertise on this site. I think the unit is about 70 bucks? And a solar kit for it is not a lot more than that -- if memory serves me
smile.png

Dave

Ya I saw it aswell 225 I would say no but thats me and everybodies schedule differ. the one for 70 looked great hope you find it good luck

The pullet shut door is worth every penny of the $200 bucks I spent. My farm is not where I live and no longer will I be at the farm in my pajamas at 915 PM throwing my shoes at errant chickens going in the wrong direction and trying to savor the last molecule of sunlight. (or however you measure them). Best money I spent on the poultry so far. And with 100 plus acres to spend the night out is sure death for a chicken. One night and you are history. Fox, possum, skunks, coyotes. Have lost count of the hens I have lost to predators. Except for the gimpy rooster we have-apparently he shoves the hens at the varmint and runs and hides. Have had it less than a week and it is the Bomb. Easy to install with essentially no know how. My eyes just about popped out of my head when it worked.
ep.gif
I did have to direct some of the dumber (?) hens the first night because the auto door is on the back of the coop and some were used to using the front. The $70 one may be perfectly adaquate but even knowing there is a seventy dollar version out there-no buyers remorse here. Love love love this door.

I had the one from Foys a little bit over $225. I would buy another one with out hesitation!!! Only reason I sold mine to another member was because I downsized to coops that had secure runs and I didn't have to open and close the door any more.

I think I might start saving for one. I don't know if it'll work on my coop design but I know for sure the kind that swing up and the kind that slide both won't work-our pop door swings down. I could make it swing up but right above it is a window so I'm not sure if the other kind would work on that. But I think I could take off the pop door and enlarge the opening enough for the pullet-shut door. I do have 2 x 4 studs above the pop door so I'd probably have to cut through those as well. I'm wondering if there's a big mechanism or something on the inside of the coop with it though. I couldn't find that info on their site.

We'd probably spend more than $225 to pay someone to come open the door every morning and close it every night when we take a 2 or 3 week vacation like we usually do every few years. And we can find someone to water and feed for free but they could do that any time of the day.

I have had the pullet shut door for three weeks now- absolutely love it- left for a 5 day vacation with the neighbor's kid coming in to check in on the chickens, and I don't have to worry about letting them out or locking them in! Considering that I would be paying $10-15 /day for someone for chicken sitting I think it will pay for itself after a few vacations.

I think it really matters how sturdy, safe your pen is. Though I realize you are never safe from snakes digging in. But I think if you are only going to use it for vacations, it may not be worth it. I suppose I would worry I would accidently harm a chicken with it.

Back
Top Bottom