Is antibiotic necessary for chicken with leg injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zoom Zoom, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    Two days ago I noticed one of my beautiful 9-month old BOs limping. Brought her inside and discovered one of those darn hard plastic leg bands dug deeply into the back of her leg. When I removed it a lot of clearish liquid came out which I assume was pus. I cleaned with lots of saline solution and applied triple antibiotic then kept her in overnight. Yesterday I cleaned it again and applied triple antibiotic then returned her to the rest of the flock. Today there is a large scab covering the deepest part of the injury and she is still limping. I'm concerned she might get an infection so am wondering if it would be wise to get an antibiotic for her. If so, what is the best antibiotic for something like this? Thank you.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would soak her leg in warm epsom salts daily, and apply the antibiotic ointment or betadine to the wound. Unless the wound looks abscessed or has pus or redness and swelling, it may not need antibiotics. If you think they are needed, your vet would have the better ones, but if you use one from a feed store, then procaine penicillin G or Gallimycin (erythromycin) may work best.

3. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    Thanks. I looked at her leg again this evening and wondered about soaking it in something. I'll get her from the roost right now and do a soak. I had forgotten about having some Baytril 22.7 mg that I got from the vet in December so started her on it this afternoon. I am so afraid she will get an infection. I saw another post this afternoon with pictures of pus. A lot of almost clear, sticky, thick liquid came out of the wound when I took the leg band off which I thought was pus from an infection but it didn't look anything like the picture so I guess that is good. Thanks again for the advice.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pus is opaque or in later stages can be like wax. Clear drainage sounds like white blood cells or serum. Baytril is one of the most potent veterinary antibiotics. Good luck on her recovery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by