Is anyone a graphic designer/graphic artist?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by claud, Nov 21, 2009.

1. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    My DD, a senior in high school, is trying to decide what career to pursue.

She is considering Graphic Design. She does have artistic talent but I'm worried if there are actually real jobs out there in this field?

Anyone have any experience with this or knows someone who does?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I would call a graphic design firm in your area and see if they would allow your DD to job shadow for a few days.... I know this would mean missing a few days of school but it may be worth it in the long run... or see if they have a co-op placement that she can do through the school

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My daughter is a graphic designer. That's what she wanted to be in high school and straight on thru college...never waivered. She got a job as a graphic designer before she graduated and continues with that same company plus doing a few free lance jobs (wedding invitations and such) on the side. What area of graphic design does your daughter want to get into? I think that can make a difference on whether jobs are available or not.

4. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:That's encouraging.
    We are just starting to explore this so I'm not sure what area she wants to get into. I'm not sure I even know what areas there are.
    we were looking at a school that offers an associate's degree in graphic design and also requires an internship the second year which I think would be helpful.

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    StrawberryHouseMouse is one. Send her a PM. [​IMG]

6. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    This is one of those things that if at first you don't succeed then try and try again...

7. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    my egg cartons i get done at a graphic design place calle graphic design ll in palatka florida its an awesome place i think they have a web site you can see a bunch of info on that subject

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am a graphic designer. You wont get rich being a graphic designer, but it is a great job.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I graduated with Associate as a Graphic Designer right out of college in 1994 and man, the jobs were so scarce at that time, like one opening for 300 people wanting that job. Fast forward in five years, there was a bunch of those position and not enough to fill it. In the last few years there are no graphic designing jobs here in Decatur except for the newspaper.

You can get started in the newspaper as a graphic designer as a start! They DO not make alot of money but comfortably off and you have to enjoy it. Unless you work for Lucasfilm, you can get in there with much more money.

Graphic designing jobs or careers are out there but it comes and goes with demand.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think you have to be open to jobs that you might not think of as being a graphic designer.....or at least what I always thought of as a graphic designer. The company my daughter works for is a sportswear company. She does a lot of their catalog and flyer stuff......from the layout, to being in charge of the photo shoot, to a few times even being the photographer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by