Is anyone else feeling the desperation???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Jul 30, 2011.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I am in withdrawal. Forget the fact that in my THREE incubators I have the following:

8 Game Eggs
    8 EE eggs
    25 Bantam Cochin eggs

That still leaves a LOT of room...and I want eggs, darnit! I only have some purebred cochins in one pen, 3 dominiques with no rooster in another, and a mixed bunch of all different chickens in the third, so I am only incubating cochin eggs from my own birds...I also have some quail, but have no luck incubating them...

I was so desperate earlier today that when I went to Tractor Supply, I started randomly asking other customers if they have chickens, if so what kind, and if they would sell hatching eggs to me... [​IMG]

Actually had some luck! One lady is saving me a dozen RIR eggs, and another is saving me 2 1/2 dozen BO eggs. Now to find a dominique roo... [​IMG]

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Well, I just looked at my Lav Am chicks and realized I only have 3 girls and 5 boys. No where near what I was hoping for. I'm short a few girls for my pen. Told my DH, I need more hatching eggs. Not what he wanted to hear.

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I know! I'm always looking for new avenues to attain purebred eggs in my area, as shipped eggs never hatch well for me...oh well, a few emails have been sent, now it's a waiting game!

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm with you! DH frowned when he asked if he could start eating the turkey eggs and I said, no, I need them in case this batch doesn't hatch. I'm supposed to practice to get it right , right? [​IMG] Which means I need chicks to hatch with the poults . . .

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

You are absolutely right!!! And all my bellyaching around town has paid off: I have another dozen eggs to add to my tally of eggs coming: on top of the RIR eggs and BO eggs, I'm also getting a dozen purebred polish eggs!!! [​IMG]

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    It is awful . My bators are almost empty and I am turning them off for vacation. Ouch. It hurts. No babies to greet me each morning when I open the Bator. I just cooked a big pot of fertile eggs. The chicks are going to be thrilled. I had egg salad for lunch made out of a blue egg. [​IMG]

7. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry you have to go on vacation... wait, that sounds awful! But I know how I'd feel to turn off the bators...even if it was to vacation...

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Howdy neighbor! I just put 21 of the boy's Polish on lockdown for August 3rd hatch. A week after that, a couple dozen from the guy in Conover then a couple dozen shipped silkie eggs that were "lost in the mail" for 7 days. I expect nothing from the shipped eggs and will not order shipped eggs again. You were right about the conditions at the Conover location. Most of the eggs I got from him were so porous I can't even tell if there are vessels forming. I already know the Polish will hatch beautifully. I have really good results from all eggs I get from "the boys" in Millers Creek.

9. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I just put my last batch of eggs into lockdown this morning. I've had a bator running since February. Going to feel strange when this one gets turned off later this week. [​IMG]

10. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I have eggs in my incubator and 2 broody's sitting on eggs. I have a silkie thats went broody 2 days ago and have no eggs to give her lol. I need eggs [​IMG] Its been 2 weeks since I bought any shipped eggs and I want more eggs so bad [​IMG] . My DH said stop buying eggs when the last box came but I just sold a couple roosters so have some egg money. Anyone have silkie eggs [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by