Is anyone else looking for unlocked car doors?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by BBQJOE, Oct 1, 2015.

1. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    The wife went ape planting summer squash and zucchini this year.
    I can't begin to tell you how many ways I've prepared it. I feed some to the chickens, but they won't be able to eat it all.
    I think I might go to Walmart, look for unlocked car doors, and toss squash in.

Or possibly call those supposed homeless cardboard sign people over to the car, and when they think they're getting a buck or two, I'll hand them a squash or two. [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Be careful, they may hit you with the squash - our neighborhood is a NO squash zone!!

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Let me tell you my tale of woe! I planted zucchini. While I was out of the country, the garden went wild, including the zucchini. Came home to green base ball bats. Picked them all, but didn't get a new flush of tender young squash. I also planted yellow summer squash, just to hedge my bets. They grew very well... too well... then they started vining. Those summer squash plants put out some 30# field pumpkins. So, this year, I only had 3 or 4 tender little zucchini to enjoy. Next year... I'll be prepared. Will plant lots of zucchini. KEEP YOUR DOORS LOCKED FOLKS!!!

4. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I think my best concoction so far this year has been zucchini fritters!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Ya'all are killing me [​IMG]. I couldn't plant a garden this year. I literally dreamed of summer squashes. Two favorite ways are sautéed with bacon, onion and shrooms, and zucchini casserole. Casserole is easy...layer cooked burger, catsup, steamed zucchini, cheese. Bake 375 for 30 minutes, until cheese is browned and crispy. You can top with French Fried onions if you want some crunch.

I'm going to try those fritters next year when I have an abundance [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    That gives me a better idea than leaving unmarked bags of overgrown pickling cukes on the counter at the post office after hours ;)

I had cucumber vines running over my tomatoes, and one that even climbed a tree! Good news is, I canned enough pickles this year that I don't even need cukes next year :D

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I did not need to plant cukes this year either. I have plenty of pickles in the pantry, but next year will be a cuke/pickle year.

Some food banks will take excess veggies. Not all will depending on how they are set up and maybe local laws. I give my excess to a volunteer charity where eight local churches went together to set up a “ministry” to help people in need. If you have trouble locating a charity that will take them, try talking to a minister. They often know what is going on with stuff like this.

8. tash

tash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    ohio
    ITA. Sometimes the minister might even know of a particular family that could use extra food. There is someone in my area that does eggs 'by donation only', she says you pay what you can. Some people pay a lot, some pay next to nothing. It seems to be working well for her. She advertises on FB. You could so something similar with your extra produce. You can also set up an honor system farm stand on your road (check local ordinances, they are all over the place around here).

Also this website hooks up growers with too much produce with food pantries/soup kitchens near them that can use it.
    http://www.ampleharvest.org/find-pantry.php

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by