Is anyone feeding ORGANIC, and what brand?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by franklinstreetwest, Jan 2, 2015.

1. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    My local feed supply place just retired and closed its doors. I have been feeding Purina Game Bird Layer, which the special ordered for me. Because I didn't know they were closing until I walked in and it was their last day, I had to buy a Flock Raiser that looked very similar from TSC. I woke up yesterday to two birds dead, from what looks like starvation, and many other with picked at heads. They are not over-crowded, their feed was NOT empty, there is no change except the food.

Today, I found a new feed mill (much farther away) that can order what they were eating before, the Purina Game LAyer. They also have access to ordering other products, including organics....I don't want to stress them out in the coldest part of winter, but I would like to try switching to an organic feed by summer.

Does anyone have experience with organic feeding? What has your experience been? Do you supplement in addition to it? Any expertise would be much appreciated!

2. Anniekins

Anniekins Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    SW NH
    I feed my quail organic turkey starter. They do well on it.

3. Anniekins

Jan 28, 2013
    SW NH
    If you are interested I will check the brand. I am in NH if that helps.

4. franklinstreetwest

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Anniekins - I would love to know the brand. Is it medicated?

5. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    I feed organic turkey starter. I get Modesto Mills organic turkey crumbles at 28% protein or Ranchway organic turkey mash at 26% protein. I've tried Big Sky's organic turkey starter at 26% protein but the grains were mostly too big for my coturnix, especially the chicks!

I feed my organic feed both fermented and dry. Maybe 3/4 of their feed is fermented fed in the morning and 1/4 of it dry and fed in the evening.

I can get Ranchway locally, though its quite a drive. I get both Big Sky and Modesto Mills feeds with others in my area to save shipping. It requires advance planning so I don't run out, and that means planning to have extra feed available when I'm raising batches of chicks. Its cheaper than getting through a feed store to order it direct from the feed mills!

You didn't say where you are located. Try to find your local thread in the Where am I? Where are you! area of the forum and see if there are people that group order organic feed to save shipping costs. Its also a great way to meet other local and similar minded people.

Don't feed medicated feed to quail.

6. franklinstreetwest

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Hi Sill,
    Thank you for the tips about organic feed. I am in south-central Michigan, about an hour from the Ohio or Indiana state line.

How much in advance do you stockpile and how do you store it?

I ferment beverages on occasion, I had not considered fermnting quail food though ...I assume it must be a lacto- ferm process? What purpose does it serve and how do you manage the process?

7. Roosu

Roosu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2014
    we buy a 45 lbs bag i pay 15 dollars for it we store it in plastic boxes

i use turkey starter the brand is versele laga country's best
    it's the only thing i can get here i live in the Netherlands so you may now know the brand..

8. franklinstreetwest

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    I buy a 50# bag at a time, but Sill sounded like she/he was purchasing quite a larger amount than that. The feed mill that I drove out to Friday said they could special order some other organic feeds, but I would need to order a 500# minimum. That is a daunting number at first blush, for me, but if I had a solution to manage that amount, I would consider it.

9. Anniekins

Jan 28, 2013
    SW NH
    Have you gotten the info you need? I can run out and get a brand name if you want. I do have to offer my organic turkey starter in as advance though. They only have it during turkey season.

10. zayn

zayn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    i feed my poultry millet and cuttlefish bone on the side which works perfect

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by