1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is anyone on Day 3 and would like to hatch with me?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by janieschicks, Apr 10, 2009.

1. janieschicks

janieschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    berkeley springs
    Hi,
    Im on day 3 with my first hatch in my new hovabator, without a turner. Im hatching
    golden comets from my own flock. My 15 girls and one rooster will be 1 year old june first. Also looking for my next breed to try. I want a bird thats wild looking but also has great temperment. Any suggestions?

2. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    [​IMG] Hi! I'm on day 8; just wanted to send good hatching vibes your way! [​IMG]

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I set 6 Welsummers, some BO & Auatralorp, silkie, serama & sizzle eggs on the 7th. But they aren't my first hatch [​IMG]

I think Mille Fleur d'Uccles are very cool-looking and very sweet. Mine are truly pets, and since they're bantams they are easy to cuddle. I'll see if I can find a picture for you...

This one shows the foot feathering and how docile they are. This is one of my hens, Georgie:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  4. janieschicks

Apr 2, 2009
    berkeley springs
    Thanks for the good vibes sunnychic! Right back at you for your hatch! Also I checked out the Mille Fleur d'Uccles and wow! Gotta love all those feathers! What color are your birds? Also can you raise bantams with a larger breed like the comets?

5. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I tried to keep my bantams seperate from my standards, but they kept going to bed in the 'big girl's coop' each evening. I finally just left them there.

I have to give the millies their treats seperately, since the big girls are pushy. But other than that they seem to do well together. And I like giving the millies one-on-one attention anyway. That's why they cooperate for photo sessions and such.

I hatched chicks from my millies in the bator last month. What sweeties. I'm hoping to add a few more hens to my little flock.

I just love the d'Uccles foot feathers, and watching them walk around (they waddle a lot like ducks). Also, d'Uccles have the neatest voices. They don't 'talk' the same way that regular hens do. Mine are the mille fleur pattern, so mahogany brown with white and black designs on their feathers. I think they're absolutely beautiful!
    And so did the folks who petted them at our Christmas party last year. We had the millies on the porch and they knew they were eye candy! They strutted & purred for our guests. So cute!

I hope you have a good hatch with your golden comets. Maybe on your next hatch you should try some millies [​IMG]

Here's Georgie and TN before they won at the poultry show last year:
    [​IMG]

Georgie as a teeny tiny hatchling:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  6. janieschicks

Apr 2, 2009
    berkeley springs
    oh thank you, they are beautiful! Temperment is number one for my next breed choice. My husband said anything but peacocks or guineas, he dosent like the sound they make. LOL Also, he doesnt know Im hatching eggs...LOL thought I would break it to him after they hatch!

7. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Sorry, photobucket wasn't cooperating at first...

Might be better to tell your hubby, or he may unplug the bator or otherwise screw up the hatch by accident.

D'Uccles aren't noisy like peacocks or guineas. They just make unique chicken noises.

8. janieschicks

Apr 2, 2009
    berkeley springs
    Hey guys, I picked up a hydrometer today but its not digital. Only one I could find but it does fit in my hovabator. any way i let most all of my water out and let the 2 top plugs open and it still reads: 58% I would like to to go a little lower but it looks like thats about as low as its going to go.

9. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I am on day 18 with my eggs under my broody. She has 7 eggs under her I only candled them once at day 7 and all were growing I have not bothered her since. So I am hoping for a good hatch for her cause she has been such a good little broody girl. Sending good hatching vibes for everyone and for myself..LOL [​IMG]

10. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by