1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is anyone thinking of trying a different breed/variety this spring?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cara, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I'm feeling the need for some variety around here. I have an array of different black chickens, some projects and some breeds. I think this spring will be the time for something different, but I just don't know what. What are your plans for next year?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I don't think I'm getting any new breeds- just going to experiment with/expand on the ones I have. I've got the cutest little banty aracuna and want to make more of him, and some banty feather-footed EEs. Going to work on blue brahmas, MF & lavendar cochins, and olive-eggers. Can't wait until spring!!!!!!

3. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Right now, I only have Buff Orps, which I love. But, this spring, I am in on a group order of some Ameraucana chicks from John Blehm. The blue eggs are intriguing. I hope they are nice birds.

4. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    I have Egyptian Fayoumi's and Derbyshire Redcaps coming this spring!

5. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    i am going to get 2 new breeds Black copper marans , and Hungrain yellows . the yellows eggs will be set late next month or in feb

6. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    I want to try working on red mottleds..but first I'd neeed to locate some red cochins that actually look like cochins. Anyone know where I could find those?

7. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    I don't think i'm going to buy any new breeds. Well I may need to so I can start my project birds. I think i'm going to try to make a BLUE laced sebright.

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I think my husband is tired of building new pens, so I'll have to wait on any new breeds. I have 3 breeds and quail. I hatched out 4 Serama, so hoping they do good and thrive. I better stop there before my husband divorces me. [​IMG]

9. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    Right now i had mainly Orpingtons - love them! but I think i want to try and have some Light Brahmas.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I started out with brahmas and I think they are an excellent breed for a first-time chicken keeper to have.
    Now that I'm past the point of freaking out over every little thing that happens with my chooks, I plan to try some variety come spring. I intend to order:

Naked necks
    Buff orps
    sex links
    blue cochins
    golden polish
    salmon favorelles
    easter eggers
    and OMG! silkies!

They will be housed in their own coop and penned until such time as they can free range with my brahmas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by