Is anything happening??? Incubation help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by momof3gurlz, Apr 5, 2018.

1. momof3gurlz

momof3gurlz In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2018
    New to incubating and we are on day 11. We have 24 RIR eggs from our own flock (collected over 5 days and kept at room temp until incubating) and we candled at day 7. We found it really hard to see anything (brown eggs) and tried a couple different candling methods. We decided to wait a few more days and tried again last night (day 11) We see a mass, but not much else. We have candled from both ends and still cant tell. Its very frustrating! Room is totally dark and tried 2 different led lights. Incubator has been consistant at 38C and 55-60 humidity.
    Any suggestions on ways to find out if anything is developing??

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    A brighter candler is my only suggestion. Find a small flashlight with the most lumens possible and try that out. My candler is a small 250 lumens flashlight and it has no trouble with brown eggs.

oregonkat likes this.
  3. feedman77

feedman77 Crowing

Jun 10, 2013
    Except for maran eggs. The light off my cell phone usually suffices to see what I need to.

4. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I use an Incubrite flashlight and it works very well. I can even see the air cell in my dark marans eggs, but that is all with those beauties. Available on the Ama..... I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: