is anything wrong with

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bamagirl68, Oct 15, 2007.

1. bamagirl68

bamagirl68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    central alabama
    my 28 day old chick? she is bunched up like she is cold. Been doing this for 2 days. The weather has turned quite a bit colder here. Is this all that it is? She looks fluffed up with her head pulled into her. My roo baby seems to have had a seizure or heart attack and died yesterday but he was acting fine up until he seized. what should I do???

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    do you have a lamp or light for heat for it it sounds like it it cold

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    When birds fluff up like that it usually means something is wrong with them.
    When I bred bugies, if they acted like that it meant they were about to die, but I've seen my chickens act like that from a simple cut and they got over it in a day or two.
    Since you had one die, I would suggest keeping a close eye on things and look for more symptoms.

Hopefully someone with more experience in the treatment and diagnosis of chicken illness will respond.

GL

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, im no expert but she sounds like she needs warmth as chickencrazzy mentioned.
    What heating have you got, she is still young and if she catches a chill at night then she will also perish.
    Good luck, let us know how she goes.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    is the chick starter you are giving them medicated?

6. bamagirl68

bamagirl68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    central alabama
    I am giving them medicated food, had them vaccinated at the hatchery and have a heat lamp in the coop. I think I am doing everything by the rules. Spoiling them too. I have held her and petted her extra too. she is eating ok also.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They were vaccinated at the hatchery and you have given them medicated food? Once vaccinated they do not get medicated food it voids the vaccination.

I never feed my chicks medicated food. I think they are better served building a natural immunity.

I am sorry you are having troubles and for your loss.

8. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I hope she's doing better! Keep us updated!

9. chickenbutt

chickenbutt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2007
    Richmond, Virginia
    MissPrissy, I am also in Central VA and I haven't seen medicated food in Southern States or Tractor Supply so they get regular food whether they want it or not [​IMG] I don't think they were vaccinated.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is the farm/feed stores that are not chain stores that I see the medicated feeds here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by