1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is Aspen Bedding Okay for Baby Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Geek, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Chicken Geek

Chicken Geek New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    I'm new to BYC and raise chickens and I went shopping for supplies yesterday and the only bedding they had was aspen...is that ok? Thanks in advance:rolleyes:

2. adni02

adni02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2013
    Mostly used for snakes and mice from where i am dono about chickens

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Aspen is fine.

4. bowen012

bowen012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    Apsen is probably the best option out of the commercially available shavings (cedar, pine, aspen). Cedar is terrible for any living thing - the oils and such, while they smell nice, are irritable for skin and respiratory systems. Pine has similar oils that excrete but at a far lower level - in confined areas with poor ventilation, it ca still cause respiratory issues in animals. Aspen is a hardwood and doesn't have the aromatic oils of cedar and pine. Aspen is usually a bit more expensive than pine so it isn't used as often, and pine is okay if you have ventilation. If you're all ready using aspen, I'd keep using it.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Aspen is fine to use. [​IMG]

6. BackyardFarmMama

BackyardFarmMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Lower NY
    I use aspen for baby chicks and rabbits. It is the best for delicate young respiratory systems. I transition to pine for the chicks after a few weeks.

7. Chicken Geek

Chicken Geek New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    Thank you guys sooooo much! [​IMG] The chickens hatch tomorrow and we will get them anywhere from Tuesday- Thursday!!! [​IMG]I will use aspen, thanks for the pep talk!

8. adni02

adni02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2013
    Thats very helpful. I did not know that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by