Is Aureomycin crumbles good to give to a sick bird with sour crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hettieprincess, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Hettieprincess

Hettieprincess New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    If so, any idea how much? Bag says mix .4-.8 oz per pound of food. But she's not eating feed, I have her on an egg/bread/yogurt diet. But if a typical hen eats a pound of food a day, I'm guessing she need to injest .4-.8 oz. per day, mixed in with her special diet. Or is that too much?

Never had to deal with a sick hen before. Please help!

2. babyrabbitjones

babyrabbitjones Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    When one of my gals had a sour crop I gave her Kefir (a probiotic liquid yogurt) I used a syringe to give it to her as she wasn't eating on her own. I also gave her water w/ electrolytes added so she wouldn't get dehydrated. When she started eating on her own, I gave her crumbles mixed w/ Keifer & raw minced garlic. She recovered quite nicely. I have never heard of the medication that you are using, I hope someone else can advise you as to the dosing. Hope she gets better soon.

3. Hettieprincess

Hettieprincess New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    Maybe I'll start adding some garlic, thanks for the suggestion! She does seem to have an appetite, but today she has thrown up some brownish liquid a couple of times. Is that normal?

4. babyrabbitjones

babyrabbitjones Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    I don't think so.....maybe search the threads for vomiting. None of my birds have ever vomited to my knowledge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by