Is Baby a runt or is it something more?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redbugs13, Apr 22, 2009.

1. redbugs13

redbugs13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Southwest Washington
    I bought 6 chicks at a Silent Auction they are about 5 weeks now. I have one that has been a runt since the beginning, she is a little slower than the others, and has been named Baby from the start, she is a barred rock. She is getting bigger but not the same rate as the others, she seems to be a loaner, not because the others pick on her, but by choice. She moves around a little but stands or sits in the same place a lot and closes her eyes a lot. I can reach in and pick her up with out her running, but I have handled her the most too. She will perch on my hand. I have seen her eat and drink. I unexpectedly lost a duckling the other day... I tried not to be too upset about it, but I am afraid I will come home and find her dead. Is she just a runt and will catch up eventually or is there something more wrong?

Thanks for your help.

2. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Well, I did have a cochin runt last year that was always at least half the size of the others when young, just a slow grower.

3. AmynChad

AmynChad Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Menlo, GA
    I haven't been doing this for an exceptionally long tme, but it seems there is always a runt in any batch of chicks. A lot of people will cull them (my husband alwys tells me to), but I always keep them and just make sure they are eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by