1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is bamboo harmful to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicksforthekids, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Chicksforthekids

Chicksforthekids New Egg

Jun 21, 2008
    I am thinking about planting bamboo for a hedge. I expect my chickens to try and snack on it. Does anyone know if bamboo harmful to chickens?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It is not harmful to chickens. (Notice that many chinese-restaurant dishes have bamboo shoot in them... [​IMG])

However most bamboos are TERRIBLY invasive and cannot be kept under control by normal measures (i.e. anything short of dynamite and/or an eight-foot thick solid steel wall going down about twenty feet into the ground [​IMG])

So if you are going to plant bamboo you'd better make REAL sure it is one of the non-suckering non-invasive kinds. Or you'll be soorrrrrr-yyyy....

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    most bamboos are TERRIBLY invasive and cannot be kept under control by normal measures (i.e. anything short of dynamite and/or an eight-foot thick solid steel wall going down about twenty feet into the ground

Kind of like Mint? [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Kind of like Mint? [​IMG]

Not at all like mint -- more like vertical kudzu with the structural strength of some types of wood [​IMG]

Pat

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Bamboo is very lethal!!! especially with applied to the head in a swift motion [​IMG] [​IMG]

I will stop now...NOT!!! [​IMG]

6. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Have you seen the bamboo that gets up to 80 feet tall? It was in one of my seed catalogs that I just recieved. It won't grow here. We have our invasives. Sage brush, tumble weeds and crab grass. At least these are my problems. Even kudzu wouldn't stand a chance!

7. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

hmmmm bamboo you say.....

maybe that might be an option for us too. I like the idea.

8. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    You know whats really invasive? DARN WILD OAK WITH HUGE TAP ROOTS...

Agreeing with Pat on this [​IMG]

9. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    tumbleweeds...the migrating plant [​IMG]

Comes South with the cold front and back north with the warm front!! Maybe we could communicate with them! Stupid things don't watch both ways before crossing the street though...high mortality rate on the highways...very sad to see all the flattend things [​IMG]

10. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i have a small patch of bamboo in my yard ,,, chickens love it,, horses love it,, goats love it...

i live in the desert.. the bamboo will only grow as far as it has water.. so mine stays in a patch (around my laundry greywater) but if you live in a place with a high water table.. i could see it taking over your whole yard,, and it is a SOB to kill (kinda like mint)
    there are also SEVERAL TYPES of "bamboo" the kind i have only grows maybe 25 feet tall,,, not 80!!!!

those bigbad tumble weeds also BURN quickly... migrating fire balls!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by