Is bamboo okay for chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Mar 3, 2013.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I want to plant some in my chicken run, but I have some questions.

-Will it grow well in a run that has clay dirt, sand and chicken/rabbit poo?
    -When it gets thick do I just cut down what I don't want?
    -Will it harm them if they eat it?

2. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I have bamboo in my yard, it spreads and grows extremely fast and its hard to get rid of... just so you know what your getting into.

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Part of the run will be next to our garage where there isn't much room so I was thinking of putting there. would the roots mess up the garage floor or wall?

4. CMYates

CMYates Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    Go to the Bamboo Society website and carefully choose your variety. Bamboo is terribly invasive can take over your whole property and spread to your neighbors. Once established it's nearly impossible to eradicate.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wally54

Wally54 New Egg

Feb 25, 2013
    Dunnellon, Fl
    I have bamboo in my yard and had it at my last home, I plant only clumping bamboo. It is non invasive and some will grow 80-100 feet tall.
    But others will stay much shorter, I use it as a screen and wind break the other big pluss is its beauty. I am not an expert but I do not know
    of a poisonous variety infact many of them are used as food by itself or in salades etc.

6. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I would think yes. Bamboo gets very tall very fast. Any plant you can see has a root system larger than the part above ground you can see. Maybe choose a breed carefully?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by