is being out to roam the yard all day free ranging??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by karlamaria, Jun 27, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    we have a run, but my girls love to roam the yard so from noon to nine at night they roam the yard instead of being in the run. my question is can I call my chickens free range chickens?

2. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    I would call it free range! My chickens are in my fenced backyard and I consider them free range!

3. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
  4. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a decent sized yard, and my girls are all over it...I dont keep them in..I could call them fr.

5. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    chickens that are on grass 60% of the time are called free ranging

same with beef- 60% time on grass is considered grass fed.

6. forstadt

forstadt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Providence, Rhode Island
    In terms of marketing eggs in the US, I believe that allowing chickens any access to the outside, no matter how small, is enough to be able to call them free range, according to USDA.

7. free_ranger

free_ranger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    near Monaca, PA
    Yes, they're free-ranging.

After being out all day, mine put themselves up in a coop in the evening which we lock up to keep them safe.

They really need to be protected at night, when they can't see and won't run from danger. It's like the night paralyzes them.

Sounds like you're giving them the good life.

8. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Same with mine. They are out in the yard all day and go to bed on their own where they are locked up. I don't even have a fenced in yard, but they stay in the back yard only. I would never let them go down the driveway and I have never let them come into the front yard but they have never tried. They stay close to the garden and their coop.

My kids are free range too![​IMG]

9. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

I consider my birds as "pasture raised" because they are rotated across a large pasture using mobile hen houses and poultry netting. I've seen people call their birds "free ranged" when in reality they are allowed access to a small dirt covered run. Personally I think those dirt covered runs are really just cage extensions.

[​IMG]

10. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd call it "fun". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by