1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Is *Biodine* as good as a coop disinfectant as Oxine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SpeckledHills, Aug 5, 2010.

1. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Songster 10 Years

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I haven't been able to find Oxine locally to use as a sanitizer for my friends' coops. She is battling Infectious Coryza in her chickens and I'm trying to help.

I have found something called Biodine. I think it is what vets use to wash their arms when treating livestock, etc.

Description at http://www.domvet.com/biodine.html says:
    "Biodine is a 1.75% iodine complex indicated for use as a detergent , sanitizer, and disinfectant for poultry farms."

Anyone have experience with Biodine and know if it will kill the bacteria that causes Coryza, CRD and related illnesses?

2. rcentner

rcentner Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    It's an iodine dilution of sorts, look and see if you can find the package insert and that should tell you what it is effective at killing. Or I would extrapolate from what I could learn about iodine and it's efficacy on such things.
    I bet it would work just fine though. no experience with that myself though, I bought the oxine which was way too expensive to ship.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: