Is blood on the egg a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lisa202, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    My 20 week old bantams have been laying for about 3 to 4 weeks...all but one, a little golden seabright. Well today, there was an egg (and we did get 1 more than usual) in the nest box with blood smeared on it. There was some blood on the pine chips in the nest box, but no where else in the coop.

Could this possibly be the seabright's 1st egg and maybe, since she's so small, ripped her a little coming out? I have no evidence that it was her except for the fact that I got an extra egg today and that all the others never had any blood on theirs and they've been laying for weeks now.

2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    They usually get blood on thier eggs thier first couple eggs. It happened to all of mine and they are fine. No worries. [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If it makes you feel better check around her vent area for signs of copious amounts of blood; but yeah, it's pretty normal.

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I did check her bum, and there was nothing...and I tried to look at the others and saw no signs of blood either.

Ok, so thanks! I feel better now.

The egg's ok to eat?

5. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Of course. [​IMG] You can rinse it off if you want, but it shouldn't make a difference.

6. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I had one yesterday like that too. Im pretty sure which girl it came from, she was hanging around in the nesting box and that is unusual for her. It has happened before, usually the first couple of eggs from a new layer.

7. cluckin_crazy

cluckin_crazy Green Bot

Nov 29, 2009
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Think... it's basically like giving birth... so yeah it's pretty normal... I give some extra mealworms those days [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by