Is Blue Japanese Crested a breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Crittercuddler, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Crittercuddler

Crittercuddler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    TX
    I was looking for a white egg layer that did not have white feathers and came across a local lady who said she had blue Japanese Cresteds that lay white eggs. The chickens she has look similar to a Crested Cream Legbar to my untrained eye, with a bit more of a crest and are various shades of solid blue. I just have not been able to find info on them online. Thanks in advance!

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    As far as I know that's not a familiar breed, it sounds like a crested chicken was crossed with a Japanese Bantam. If you're looking for a white egg layer with a different body color like Brown Leghorns, Blue Andalusian, Polish, and California Grey's are all breeds that produce white eggs.

3. Crittercuddler

Apr 6, 2014
    TX
    They fit my criteria perfect. They are pretty and lay white eggs. I'm just wondering if they are called something else or maybe they are a project variety.

4. Crittercuddler

Apr 6, 2014
    TX
    [​IMG]

This is a picture, she has about a dozen hens that she refers to as blue Japanese crested. I got some hatching eggs from her, so we will see what I get in a few weeks. My only criteria were alert, not white and lay white eggs, so whatever these are they are fine for me. I was just surprised I hadn't heard of them and couldn't find anything on them.

5. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I think these are a project breed. When you go to look at them ask her what breeds she put into them.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd ask the seller more about what went into these birds. It's no breed. If they're her project she should be more than happy to talk your ear off bout them......folks tell me I sure am [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by