1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is broody contagious?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Amarisus, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I finally got my first broody my little frizzle cochin, then a day later my other cochin went broody, then the next day my Marans went brood!y I was like Jeeze![​IMG] My hubby said "well it is spring" lol But I'm kinda glad though cuz I've been wanting broodies for awhile now. Its just kinda crazy none of them are even a year old yet, but I'm more surprised that my marans went broody before my silkie and my other cochin did. So is being broody contagious or what? lol!

2. rednana9

rednana9 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    You are lucky! My daughter has been dying for just one of hers to go broody so they can hatch her eggs![​IMG]I havent had one go broody yet so I dont know much about it except that they wont lay anymore eggs until broody time is over.

3. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I hear how often they go broody depends on the breed. Cochins and silkies are like the most broody breeds out there. Broody just means they're gonna sit until you find away to break them of it or they hatch out and raise some babies themselves. What breeds does your daughter have?

4. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

My sister has 8 chickens that all went broody, one after the other, so she keeps buying eggs off craigslist and from me to put under the hens to make their dreams come true! I have silkies that keep going broody, one just hatched out 6 lemon cuckoo orps for me. I have large breed hens too, including orpingtons, but none of them have gone broody yet.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Seems it is. Penny and Aimee here went broody the exact same day and I hope will raise their chicklets together as well:
    [​IMG]

6. rednana9

rednana9 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    She has production reds and some leghorns which I told her they dont go broody. She just got some buff orpingtons so I imagine when they get older they will.

7. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Aaaaww Speckledhen, they're so cute, that's about how mine look sitting so diligently, except the marans and cochin keep switching spots, its kinda funny lol
    Rednana, yes I think she'll have much better luck with the orpingtons going broody than leghorns, good luck with getting a broody [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Now, my Silver Phoenix hen who lives in that same coop seems to have gone broody as well. Yup, methinks it's contagious!

Penny and Aimee keep stealing each others' eggs. It's nuts! They have been sitting on 4 eggs each for 18 days. This morning, Penny had 7 under her and Aimee had only 1. They'll probably be chick-nappers, too!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  9. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Not only is it contagious but it's an epidemic! My cochin cross hubert just went broody then my last blue cochin went broody and now my Barred Rock is broody?! Is that normal for a barred rock to go broody? She's only like 8 or 9 months old. Oh well we'll see how she does lol

10. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    My cochins is 8 months and just hatched me out 7 OEGBs and adopted an orhpaned australorp chick. She and my buff orp went broody together but the buff orp abandoned her only chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by