Is broody hen suffocating chicks??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tuesday2000, May 31, 2018.

1. tuesday2000

tuesday2000 In the Brooder

Aug 2, 2015
    Naples, FL
    In 2 years I've had chickens only one hen has gone broody and she's been a great mom. Now 2 other hens at the same time are sitting on eggs - to make it more confusing they apparently kept taking eggs from others so the eggs are all on different days. A few days ago I checked in and one perfect, dried and fluffed up chick was dead under the hen. One had just pipped so I took the dead baby and left her alone. I went back a few hours later and the pipped chick had apparently suffocated. Yesterday I found a chick dead and still half in the shell but in the yard!! So another pipped today and I took it from her and have it in my incubator. Should I even give the chick to her? Is this common for a new mom? My other girl was so perfect I never even thought about problems like this. Thank you for reading this!!

2. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Were the two broodies have access to one another? It could be that they are fighting to raise/brood the eggs and chicks. I have 4 broodies and they’re all separated by mini made up rooms until they can all integrate again.

Bonniebooboo and lazy gardener like this.
  3. tuesday2000

tuesday2000 In the Brooder

Aug 2, 2015
    Naples, FL
    Yes just a small half-wall separates them. Ok so a broody hen needs to be completely separated from the flock until the chicks are a certain age?

chickens really likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Yes. I separate till Chicks are about 3 to 5 days and then introduce Momma and Chicks to the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: